Victor TT 101 vs TT 81

I am aware of some of the differences regarding the motors of these two units, but I was wondering if anyone had insights as to the differences in sound (if any) and the differences in reliability (I'm guessing the 81 being simpler might be more reliable, however, it seems to have the better motor).  Any info will be appreciated.
rgs

Showing 6 responses by hwsworkshop

I used the Classic Direct base which is 5/8" aluminum, 1/8" steel, MDF, and a walnut outer finish.  Really works well and has the resonance structure of a sausage hitting a pillow.

HW

I have a TT-101 for roughly 30 years, just mounted it in a new custom base with a 12" VPI 3D printed arm and it sounds amazing.  Highly recommended and it does hold up if not abused. I have never had an issue with it.

HW

I always use a solid base because I like to be able to lock the tonearm to the chassis the motor is in, that's me and probably means nothing.  Besides, I new I was using my 12" 3D arm so it became a moot point to have arm changing capabilities, I just swap armtubes.

If I new how to post a picture I would do it, it really looks great.

HW

What is wrong with your TT-101?  Is it electrical or mechanical?  Remember, this is a low power system and any mechanical issue will result in that motor spending the whole day trying to correct itself.

HW

I am blown away by the amount of interest in these Victor motors.  When they were selling them everyone wanted the Technics, or the Kenwood, or the Micro three arm, etc.  One hearing and I knew these were special but stopped using it decades ago probably due to the really bad base and arm arrangement.

I have never had to fix mine but I will tell you it does act up if you don't use it.  When I took it out to mount in the new base it took almost all day for it to figure out how to run right and that was with me coaxing it along!!  I've mechanically worked on it, changed the thrust disc, lubed and polished the shaft, etc. but have not had to do anything electrical to it yet.

Someone mentioned Bill Thallman and while I don't know if he has ever worked on a TT-101 he is an electronics wiz-bang and I would trust him with mine.  I have guys at the factory and I know a few engineers with the patience for this work but they are not experts on this item.

HW

Dear Lewm,

I have a guy but we are so busy making, upgrading, and repairing our stuff (400,000 customers) the days just run away before we can do anything but what we need done.

I have another possibility that I will check out this week, he is very good on servos and power supplies.

HW