Very best sounding Vinyl

So first I did search back to 2014 to see if there was a thread on this subject but only found threads that dance around the topic but not directly on point. If I missed then copy the link here and I’ll delete.

Started building my record collection and have about 20 so far but clear and away the two very best recordings are Joni Mitchell’s Blue and the infamous Come away with me Norah Jones. Of course its the vocals and the acoustic instruments but no denying the top notch quality recording.

So what else is out there on that level - any genre? To show off your system....similar to the home theater bluray lists. 

aj523
aj523,
Sound quality on vinyl is very complicated. At first glance the BR concept seems preposterous. Anyone buying vinyl has come across some that are noisier than others, sometimes so bad they get a refund or replacement. Happens a lot. Almost always the replacement seems identical except for surface noise.  

Reading about Hot Stampers made me curious. There's several dupes in my collection. Never thought to compare them. Sure enough, no two really do sound quite the same. Okay most the difference was slight, but one it was big enough to really make me think there might be something to this.  

Now with around a dozen I have to say, no duds. Of course, all we can really do is fine exceptionally good pressings. In this respect records are just like everything else. The perfect component does not make the recording sound good. It merely allows the really good recordings to shine through unmolested. The really good pressing is just the same. So the quality depends first and foremost on the underlying recording.  

That said, it is sometimes shocking to hear how much better the original recording was than we thought. Tom Petty is a good example. Never in my life imagined his recordings were any good. They certainly don't sound great on anything else I ever heard. But the White Hot Stamper of Southern Accents is mind-blowing in its dynamics and sized. I mean its just huge! And Damn the Torpedoes is supposed to be even better??! We will just have to see!
I don’t know if like classical. But if you want a recording that sounds like a real orchestra is in the room with you. Find a reissue of the DECCA Mahler Symphony No. 2 Restoration, with Heather Harper and Helen Watts by Georg Solti and The London Symphony.
Gerald
So I dropped in today on Generation Records on Thompson Street, West Village NYC. I used to pass by that place all the time but not this time.

Only had an hour but could have spent 3-4 hrs going through their two huge floors of vintage used records and some new ones both at great prices.

Thinking about Better Records and finding that diamond in the rough Stamper quality but wasn’t fully prepared with a list or even know what pressings i was looking for exactly, so I’ll be back. They get used records coming in daily - most are $5-$10.

Purchased
Damn the Torpedos. Tom Petty
Hard Promises, Tom Petty
Night and Day, Joe Jackson
Caribou, Elton John
Jump Up, Elton John
Victim of Love, Limited Edition,, Elton John
Frontiers, Journey
Carole King greatest hits (new).

Cleaning them now. Sunday Funday.

Wish me luck!