Using tube amp with electrostatic speakers.

Moons ago I started similar discussions and thought I had been given enough good advice not to approach the subject again. Here goes anyway. I've used Martin Logan electrostats for well over 30 years with quite a few different amps but have recently switched to a tube amp and dynamic speakers with which I am very satisfied.  It consists of the Cary Rocket 88R amp and Serie Reference 3 speakers. 

My brother was visiting last week and was so impressed with the sound that he decided that he might want to try a tube amp also (probably the same one as mine).  However, he is using a pair of SL3's that I gave him years ago and I'm concerned primarily about the current requirements of the Martin Logans as well as other concerns that I'm not thinking of.  I don't want him spending money on something that may not bring him improved sound so would appreciate more advice to pass on to him.  He currently uses a Rogue Audio SS amp with his SL3 speakers and, to me, it sounds very good. 
jimbreit
I would like to mention that my Linear Tube Audio ZOTL40 (David Berning designed) is absolute magic with my Janszen electrostats. If you can live with 40 watts or get them mono blocked for 80, I can’t recommend them highly enough. My Janszen zA2.1s are 87 dB efficient and I still have plenty of headroom.
ESLs on paper have low efficiency, but that is because the standard measurement is made at 1 meter.

If the ESL is a large panel, a good deal of the sound might go past the microphone without being picked up. So in reality many ESLs (and planars in general) are much more efficient than their specs suggest.
Hi Lewm,

I'm also interested in the transformer mod - I'm using first gen VTL MB450s for my M1 panels, so I'm interested in the transformer mod for the same reasons you mention in the thread of increased efficiency and of course improved sound. I would really like to hear everything my system can offer without over taxing my amps, with flexibility to try OTL or lower powered tube amps in the future. I sold my 160w joule electra amps because they were struggling with the panels.

I hadn't realized that plitron offered a suitable step up - do you have any tips to install them into the backplates? Im looking forward  to doing this in the new year.

Happy Holidays,

Andy 
@jazzdude99  Andy, If you want to get an idea of what the Sound Labs can do with the new backplate, there is a resistor that can be removed from the old toroidal backplate that gets you about 90% of the way there.

The resistor is usually composed of a bunch in series/parallel to get the wattage up- the result is a resistor with a 200 watt rating. Think about how much amplifier power is being absorbed to need to be rated that high to survive!

Anyway, in the older units that resistor can be removed and an instant improvement is heard with any amp and the speaker is easier to drive. Our customers feedback is that they can do with our MA-1 (140 watts) what used to take a set of MA-2s (220 watts) before. Its more than just an efficiency improvement, its also a load that is a lot easier for any amp.