Using a Rel Sub with a dedicated center channel

Anyone using a Rel subwoofer with their dedicated center channel in a home theater? Rel has a video on their youtube page from a couple years ago on how to do this and talk about the benefits a little. Someone in the comments makes the case that any channel in a HT can benefit from a subwoofer being added but it does have me intrigued. So much of the sound comes for a HT comes from the center channel it makes me think it might benefit. I am already running 2 SVS SB4000 in my setup. The Yamaha CX-A5200 I am using sets my B&W HTM 1 center channel at 120 hz for crossover and the Vandersteen 2ce sigs that are my are RL channels to 80hz. I actually really like the sound of everything right now but think maybe this can take it to the next level?
chief4425

Showing 5 responses by chief4425

Could the sub potentially fill in the 60-120 hz range for the center channel though? The vocal clarity is so good on my center I would fear trying something else. I've tried a few centers in the $1200-1600 range and I definitely like this one the best.
I’ll try setting it to 80 hz first and see what happens. I have been planning on getting a better amplifier to power my center channel. I’ve got a Marantz mm8807 for the center and surrounds for now. I’m sure it’s plenty good for the surrounds but B&W usually like lots of power. The Yamaha sets the freq to 120 hz when I do it’s ypao corrections. I was worried about setting it lower than the 120 as I’ve read you generally shouldn’t go lower?
I played around with the settings on the Yamaha a bit, I think I'm also searching for something that might not be there - I really like how everything sounds as is too. Seems like a subwoofer may be more of a waste than a benefit. But as always, we keep searching for whats next to upgrade. 
I’m using a Marantz mm8807 to power my center, surrounds and height speakers. Could it be there isn’t enough juice in the amplifier?