Used Thorens TD165: worth my dough???

a friend at a local vinyl shop i frequent has a thorens td165 he's willing to part with. he's asking about $100 which seems reasonable.
my questions is: do you think i can realize significant improvement in playback over what i am using now, a dd kenwood, only about 5 years younger than the thorens. the thorens is belt driven and suspended whereas my kenwood is not. i plan on listening to the thorens as soon as possible to compare to my rig, but can anyone offer their 2 cents here.
my thoughts are the following: belt drive plus suspended table will definitely better my dd, nonsuspended plastic kenwood. the thorens has seen better days cosmetically, but i think i can cope. for 20 yrs old it seems like its in decent shape.
one last thing, how difficult will the setup be re: suspension and leveling? have no experience here, but consider myself a quick learner.
thanks as always
fujindemon

Showing 1 response by fletchj

For $100, there is nothing out there that can outdo it. I used a TD 160 MKll for years, until I could get my current setup. The only mods, I did to it, was replace the bottom cover, with 1' birch, and spiked it, and new belt. I also used a wrap, for the tonearm. It should do just fine.