Use or sell/replace Oppo UDP-203?

I bought and intended to unbox a UDP-203 in the summer of 2017 and then Hurricane Harvey happened.  We have been treading water since then, but are about to move back into a permanent (larger) residence, where I will be able to again set up a AV area.  But, we never really had a DVD/BR collection, the world has changed, and I don't really see us again using a player for physical video discs.  On the other hand, I have a nice CD collection and foresee upgraded streaming audio in the future.  Initially, listening (and theater) will be via a Cambridge Audio CRX120, but I am open to adding an integrated amp and DAC/streaming device for 2 channel audio.  I should probably add that I am old, getting lazy, and the hearing isn't what it used to be - I can foresee eventually moving on from CDs and just streaming (especially if Spotify would ever get their high-res act together).

So, what to do?  Should I unbox the new Oppo and use it for CDs, or better to sell it for its current inflated value, and use the money for a CD player and/or streaming device?  If the latter, equipment suggestions are appreciated.  TIA. 

128x128bgmanne

Showing 1 response by loomisjohnson

personally, if the oppo is new-in-box i'd sell it (you can get north of two grand for it) and replace it with an inexpensive cd transport and a streaming dac (something like the bluesound node or yamaha musiccast would be around $500, though you can spend more and get better). you'll be ready for the future.