Use old Sony DA777ES as amp or abandon it?

This’ll likely be an odd post. Also, I’m frugal, like old stuff, and appreciate audio quality.
Looking to upgrade the current setup -- Processing: Rotel RSX-1065 -- Amp: Sony DA777ES

The Rotel’s front left channel amplification is dead, but it’s processing is fine.The Sony’s processing is totally dead, but amplifies all channels fine.
Therefore, the Rotel handles all processing, then sends it to the Sony for amplification.

I want to replace the processing unit with something modern, and that makes me think, "maybe I should just buy a modern HT receiver", but modern receivers seem to stress features over sound quality, unless I spend a ton (even then I’m skeptical).
Is the Sony, in the role of an amp, still considered decent? If so, I’d continue using it. I’d also replace its capacitors and maybe make a few upgrades.

If the Sony is considered weak these days, would a decent receiver outperform it regarding amplification?
cinnamonandgravy
looking back on your previous threads, you have been dealing with issues for a few months......so maybe its time to retire both pieces and get something newer.         
 Will the sound be different than what you have now, probably.......but now you will have something that is newer and trouble free for a while.
There ain’t nuthin’ wrong with the amplifier section of that Sony unit.

It is well built and sounds good.

That’s a 24.5kg (55lb) unit and quite a bit of that weight is the power amplifier.

Particular attention was paid in the ES units. Eg, even the heatsink was designed to help the amplifier sound good.

I see that you are up to the idea of making parts changes, and that changes the equation again, to your favor. Some better coupling caps and maybe a few cap changes to the sony amp section, would really make it shine. Then you’d be in a position where only very close attention to detail (in searching) might -I mean might- make for a better amplifier choice....but only at the upper end of the market at the 3-5kilo buck range.

At such a point, if you don’t require the extra power or headroom and are not stressing things too much, then the Sony, as a power amp... when economically self modified/upgraded, will be the clear financial and quality (paired considerations) winner.

I’ve done this sort of thing a literal hundreds of times. The answer is always the same.

Also look at the preamp output section of the Rotel, as it is the source point. A few mods to the output section will pay major dividends. Better coupling caps for the output section lines (they will be capacitor coupled) and recapping the power supplies that are local to each op amp that is the output of the processing section..that all pays off at least as well as mods in the Sony amp.

The tech manuals for both are available, IIRC, so this is more like the tech’s version of shoveling snow or mowing the lawn, it’s standard easy audio tech fare.
@addyson815 Audio quality is more important to me than convenience, esp. if it’s also the frugal solution. I’d hate to throw money at a problem only to have it sound worse.

@teo_audio The Rotel will likely go bye-bye (err, repaired and hooked up to another setup) because it doesnt support HDMI. Guess I’ll get a receiver that supports HDMI2.0 with a full preout section. I’d like to get a proper processor/preamp, but ugghh theyre so expensive.

I’ll keep the Sony. Any other advice on upgrades? It’ll be fun restoring it -- it served me well for so long... bought it after FedEx killed a Marantz SR-18EX.
cinnamonandgravy
I am a big Sony ES fan. Although I do not know your specific amp, I do know that, every once in awhile Sony ES made a true Reference (over built) product. Your amp could very well be a contender. Hopefully, a reputable Sony technician can bring your amp back to original glory (specs).
Keep me posted.
Happy Listening!