USB compatability

Please be kind to this noob. I have searched and asked for months without much luck for an explanation other than " it probably wont work... 
     I bought a 2012 version of the Wyred for Sound DAC-2. This is my first DAC and all I could afford. My i ssue is i can run audio over usb from my old DELL laptop and all is well. I have a note 9 and BLU G8 phone. I can download an AP connect to the DAC and the phones instantly give a "connected to W4S DAC-2" a message but when I go to play a song i get a DAC not connected message. My first thought is the controller of the USB isnt capable of talking to the phones? i uses eXtreme usb music player and tried a samsung music ap. Ive tried different cables ect. Please enlighten me by telling me or referring me to where to find the answer. Thank you!
pauldutcher
I have had about 8 emails from EJ at W4S. TY Sfar and jjss, Like end ej said in the end that he wasn't sure. What  drrsutliff said makes seance. Maybe i need a different usb cable. I bought a usb B to usb C cable off amazon and it still didnt work. The laptop was released in 2013 the note 9 released 2018 so i would think the phone more advanced than the DAC soo still what  drrsutliff says about the cable makes the most sence to me. I have tried different cables including ones that came with the phones... 
  I probably responded incorrectly here but I didnt see where I could make a fresh post only a reply
Are  you using a basic phone to USB cable?  That won't work.  You need an OTG cable, on the go cable.  It looks like a normal micro to usb but it's not.  Amazingly cheap fix.
Here is one of the cables I got but no it dont say on the go. I believe i have several short usb- C to usb A OTG cables but the DAC is usb-B sooo i guess im still looking for a cable but at least maybe once i find this unicorn USB-C male to UCB-B OTG cable. I thought the one below was but now i dont see it.
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B082HQ3LP2/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o04_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1
Please do not misunderstand my statement...  I am not saying it is your cable!  I was using that as an example of how the lack of the proper communication will cause a failure.  I don’t think the phones are capable of the correct communication to the DAC either physically in the 5v carrier voltage or as stated above possibly just the software is not compatible.