USB Cable Ridge Street Audio/Synergistic Research

Has anybody done a A/B Of these two USB cables, Ridge Street Audio/Synergistic Research?
128x128travelstead

>I would just like to know why . . . even just a rough idea . . . before spending hundreds of dollars on something that I don't remotely understand.<

M3pilot... probably like that old movie conversation in which one guy says...

"those that knows ain't saying..."

I don't really understand how that electricity comes into my house and powers my whatevers... but I still use it and mostly enjoy and appreciate everything it does for me.

:) listening,

Ed

M3pilot:

Steve Nugent of Empirical Audio posted some thoughts in this Computer Audiophile thread as to why different USB cables may sound different.

http://www.computeraudiophile.com/node/209
The reason why USB cables don't matter when it comes to connecting hard drives and data retrieval and such is because there are multiple layers of error correction involved. If data is passed over a network, the TCP protocl will handle checksums and retransmissions if data does not match. The OS will also verify that data is written/retrieved perfectly.

USB audio OTOH, is handled in a streaming fashion, meaning the data is sent and forgotten about by the computer. That DAC doesn't respond back with a 'hey I got everything!'

The best way to handle this is to have some connection-oriented protocol between the DAC and transport, that way data that reaches the DAC is perfect regardless of the cable. Why this hasn't been done, I don't know.