UPS Driver Literally Drops Package with New Hana Umami Red

I just purchased a Hana Umami Red and it arrived yesterday. I looked back at my ring doorbell video footage and saw that the UPS driver literally dropped the package from about waist high onto my porch. Here is a link to the shared video: https://ring.com/share/b8d92b2f-f777-4366-8cca-18459bc6bfac

It was packaged well from the distributor and everything looks fine (I opened the box before realizing this happened). I haven’t installed yet, but I’m pretty upset by this and not sure I want to install it. The rational side of me is saying these packages see much worse during transit, but I’m worried about the possible damage or latent damage this careless act may have caused. How robust are phono cartridges and how susceptible to shipping damage?  Looking for some opinions please.

cbl117

Showing 8 responses by cbl117

@dwette I buy from the dealer I trust, local or otherwise.  How do you know this didn't come from a local B&M dealer, and they drop shipped due to stock?  Just a thought :)

@lewm It shipped with the Umami red retail packaging, which surrounds the cartridge with foam in a rectangular wooden box.  Then that retail box was wrapped with 3-4" of bubble wrap in a uline 8"x6"x4" box.  The packing material was tight.

@lalitk Copy.  I've reached out to my dealer too.  I wanted to get some opinions here as well.  I appreciate everyone's replies.  It is definitely helping to set my mind at ease.

@lalitk Took a 20X loupe and visually inspected. Stylus still on the end of the cantilever, and cantilever still straight and attached. My main worry is the coil wire breaking, but the wire is extremely low mass so not a lot of force acting upon it, right?

Thanks to everyone who weighed in. The dealer responded with the same message and confirmed there is nothing to worry about. Let’s call this thread closed!

@valinar I can PM you my thoughts once installed. It will be several weeks as I’m waiting on my turntable and HRS platform to arrive. 

@dill Brinkmann is delivering to the dealer so I'm saved in that regard!

@knock1 yeah, I'm hopeful its fine.  Glad you're enjoying your Hana.  I'll let you know my thoughts once I set everything up.  The custom HRS isolation base just arrived this week, so I'm only waiting on the Taurus now.

@stringreen I have plenty to worry about, and this was something I worried about until I resolved it a month ago. Nothing else better to do?

@knock1 I trusted in the response from my dealer and initial responses here.  I'm still waiting to take delivery on my Brinkmann Taurus so I won't know 100% until I complete the install.

This issue is not living rent free in my head, so I find it funny to see people trying to get in the last word in an otherwise dead thread LOL.

I haven't replied to this thread in about a month and completely forgot about it.  But I still see people jumping back in to belittle me for still worrying (which I'm not!), or offering unsolicited life lessons such as ordering through brick and mortar dealers.  Give me a break....keyboard warriors with nothing better to do.