Upgrading to Tube; Amp or Preamp

I am currently looking to upgrade my existing system a piece at a time. I currently have a set of Vandersteen 2ce Sigs, VPI mkIII w/RB250 Origin Mod w/Dynavector cartidge, Adcom 565 Preamp, Adcom 555 mkII w/Musical Concept mod, and a Rega Planet CD. I have a rather small listening room, 15x18 w/vaulted ceilings and want to migrate to tube gear. I have heard the Rogue 120 amps and 99 preamp on the Vandersteens and thought they sounded marvelous.

I am into analogue mostly classical, jazz, and some rock. My budget is in the $2000 dollar range and since I want to get as big a bang for the big would it be best to replace the Preamp or Amp. The Adcom gear is a little too bright and the soundstage and imaging are not near (imagine that)what I heard with the Rogue combo. I like the Vandersteens alot but have heard that they get a little too laid back with tube gear. My aim is to put about two to three thousand in my system a year until my wife stops me.

Look forward to the suggestions, oh yeah getting rid of my wife is not an option (ha, ha).
rav1952
Another vote for the tube pre first. I think you'll be extremly happy with the upgrade. I also went the tube amp route, later, and was even happier. Obviously, the care and feeding of a tube amp is much higher - something to think about. I love my audible illusions M3 but too much gain can be a problem in some systems. I've heard and liked the VTL 2.5 and have seen these used for about $900-1000.

Good Luck
Counterpoint SA-3000 / SA-100 Combo

I used this combination with Thiel 3.6 for 3 months and got pretty nice sound. Total cost for me $1,075 ($675 + $400). If you want to extend their capacities, contact Mike Elliott (Counterpoint's CEO & chief designer, try visit www.altavistaaudio.com) for upgrade details.

Good Luck!
I want to thank everyone for their input. I am going to try and audition some of the suggestions to see if I can tell the difference. But thanks again to everyone.
One option that I think would really love is an Atma-Sphere MP-3 preamp and then the Rogue amps at a later date. My brother uses the MP-3 with a Rogue 88 stereo amp. There is a Jensen transformer between the preamp and amp that converts the balanced output of the MP-3 to single ended for the Rogue. This combination sounds really exceptional. The MP-3 lists for $3,200 for a linestage and will probably cost $2,000 used, if you can find one (they are seldom available on the used market). The Jensen transformer costs about $250 new. The preamp/transformer combo will also allow you to have a long run (50'+)of inexpensive balanced cable connecting the two pieces if desired. I have not heard the Rogue 99 preamp but based on their 88 amp and the reviews I have read it sounds like it would be a great choice too. God bless.
I believe that the preamplifier is where the money should go first. There are some super used deals on Audiogon at the moment. No need to spend more than $1000. I saw products by Quicksilver, Anthem, Audio Electronic Supply,
VTL and Cary over the last few days that would all be excellent "no risk"choices.