upgrading systemdek iix worth it?....

Hello, everyone.

As indicated in the subject I own a Systemdek IIX that is in mint shape as judged by the tech that last adjusted it.  I've been told the tonearm is the weak link on the table.

The reason I am considering upgrading the turntable is so I am not limited in which cartridge I can install since the Profile arm has no azimuth adjustment.  IOW I want a better tonearm.

The phono-stage I am using what is in my integrated amp - a Simaudio Moon 340i.

When I got my Systemdek adjusted, the tech said that this is a very good turntable with a tonearm being its weak link.  He said he could install an OriginLive Encounter for 2200.

My budget is:
turntable: 2500; cartridge: 500-600 and pre-amp: 1000-1200 CDN

My questions are:

1: Is the basic turntable good enough to warrant installing the Originlive Encounter tonearm?

2: Is the phono stage in my Simaudio Moon 340i going to be the weak link when I upgrade the turntable? IE. should I add a separate phono-stage?

3: I'm considering the Musical Fidelity MX-Vinyl phono-amplifier for $1100.  Is  a sufficient upgrade to the one in my 340i?

Thoughts please?

128x128lewkor

Is the basic turntable good enough to warrant installing the Originlive Encounter tonearm?

No. It is a midfi TT similar in performance to something like a Rega P6 or P8.

If you are going to spend a couple of thousand - buy a better TT.

Having said that something like an Audiomods tonearm, which is exceptional value for money ( well under $1k ), would give you a decent upgrade with a cost commensurate with the TT.

In the UK Systemdecks were usually bundled with Rega arms.

Audiomods isn't that much less than the Originlive Encounter.  The current price is 1085 UK pounds.

Origin Live Encounter UK$1550 ( US$1983 )

Audiomods 6 UK$1085 ( US1388 )

Audiomods Classic UK$695 ( US$889 )

Audiomods Classic would upgrade the Systemdek substantially.

I owned a IIXE when they were new, and was quite pleased with it. The tables are still quite good and I would take them over a mid tier Project, and Fluance, and lower end Rega. 

The Profile II was a decent arm, but you could do better with one of the Audiomods or even the last generation Jelco. 

The only other thing I would do is use a dampening mat in place of the felt one. I used a Platter Matter with good results. I am sure there is a  current day  version of it. 

On my list of things to get from Oirginlive are the Plattermat and the Gravity One.