Upgrading Rotel RCD-1072

I'm looking into upgrading my CDP in the near future and am looking for some opinions/advice. I'm looking in the 1 - 1.5K range, used. My speaker/amp combo is Merlin TSM-MMe and Cary SLI-80 F1 all triode.

I listen to basically everything under the sun with the exception of Country music. Mostly acoustic jazz, singer/songwriter, and prog rock. I'm mainly looking for musicality so no need for dry, over analytical players.

I am looking at a Rega or a Cary CDP but am open to more suggestions. Also, would the difference in sound be substantial or more subtle? Thanks in advance!
nicodemix

Showing 4 responses by nicodemix

Yea...The Rega Saturn and some Cary's sounds nice but since its already a warm player, note sure how it would synergize with a tube amp. I dont want TOO much warmth. Thus, I am being swayed toward the direction of the 840C.

Sometimes I wish their werent so many options to choose from these days. :)
I have definitely considered purchasing a DAC and using the Rotel as a transport. I am just not sure if that is the best idea.

I am all ears. I just do not want to spend a lot of money on something that will only have a very subtle difference in sound. I can stretch my budget to 2K but need to have the sonic difference worth the money spent.
So I guess the answer is that, within my budget, there really won't be any substantial improvement? Thanks for saving me money, LOL. ;)
Miner, how did you like the Rega compared to the RCD-1072? Also, have you auditioned the Cambridge Audio 840C?