Upgrading my beginner setup and not sure how to allocate funds. New cart, table or amp?

Current setup:
Integrated amp: NAD 3020 (has phono stage)
Turntable: AT-PL120 (with stock ATP2 cart) (nb: this is the early non-USB version)
Speakers: Triangle Titus

Hey, all!

I am thinking of doing some upgrading as vinyl has become my primary medium for listening and I am not sure if I should replace my turntable, the cartridge (which hasn't been replaced in 10 yrs) or my amp. I am looking to spend roughly $1500, though could maybe spend more if I stagger my purchases (i.e. buy a new cart now, buy an amp later, etc.).

I am curious where you think I should allocate the $$ to improve my system. New headshell and cart? New table altogether? New integrated amp? Do I start using a phono stage w/ a new amp? I am admittedly not a "tinkerer" and so I am looking for something that won't require a lot of individual upgrades (though I am excited about maybe swapping out carts eventually).

Possible TT: Rega P2 or P3, Technics 1200GR or 1210GR (both Technics stretch the budget a bit)
Possible Preamps: Phonomena II+, something Music Hall? Marantz? New NAD?
Possible carts for AT-PL120: Ortofon 2M Blue? something from Shure?
knotgreen
Thanks, everyone, for the great feedback.

The assessments of my current setup are mostly spot-on. I have a small listening space, and the Triangles + NAD together are a nice combo for for the folky (acoustic guitar & vocals) stuff that I listen to, but are definitely lacking when it comes to a more dynamic "rock" sound. That is, there’s very little low end and it often feels like the the speakers aren’t being pushed (if that makes any sense). Oddly, It really hadn’t occurred to me to replace the speakers (maybe one day a pair of Dynaudio bookshelf speakers?)

There are quite a few recommendations for cartridges in this thread:

• Ortofon 2M Black
  • Nagaoka MP110
  • Stanton 881s mk2
  • Pickering XSV3000
  • Soundsmith
  • Clearaudio Virtuoso
  • Hana SL cartridge

Is there anything that I should be mindful of if I decide to buy a cartridge for my AT-PL120 with the intention of then using it with the next table (which is feeling more and more like an inevitable purchase)? Or, is the issue mainly the cartridge’s compatibility with the amp/phono stage? Further, and I know that this is a broad question, but how the hell do I narrow it down?!

Ultimately, I think that for the turntable I’m deciding between:

• Technics 1200GR (upper end of budget and doesn't appear to be sold w/ cartridge)
  • Music Hall MMF 5.3 (comes with Ortofon 2M cartridge)
Williewomnka’s recommendation above that I check out the Simaudio Moon 110LP phono stage has me thinking that perhaps a modestly priced phono stage would be a very worthwhile investment as well. Perhaps pairing that with the Music Hall 5.3 (~$1500) and a ~$500 cartridge would drastically improve my setup.

I do feel a bit in over my head but your comments have been encouraging and informative. I am very appreciative of your time and input.

Tyler
@knotgreen - If you are looking to spend $500 on a new cartridge, one thing to consider when looking at cartridges, is the stylus profile or type e.g. spherical, elliptical, shibata, contact line etc.

As you move towards the higher end i.e. Shibata & Contact Line then you will require the best setup tools. To that end you should consider one of the more accurate alignment protractors, like the Best Mint Protractor.

If you do not use a protractor capable of extremely fine allignment then you will not get the very best out of the cartridge and you will be wasting your money - it does make a considerable improvement.

For Spherical and Eliptical profiles a paper protractor will suffice

So budget the ~$100 for this type of tool.

Regards - Steve
@williewonka Thank you! I will indeed and will pick up the protractor as well as a stylus scale.

FWIW, I’m leaning toward:
Technics SL-1200GR
Ortofon 2M Black Cart

and adding a phono stage (still researching this component and how it’ll work with my NAD). Spending a little more on everything than I once though (isn't that always the case?) but given that my AT table brought me joy for a decade, I'm imagining that this setup will do that and then some.

Thank you again, and happy holidays!
@knotgreen - just to tease you even further

Audiomods makes a special mounting plate for their arms to fit the 1200 TT perfectly.

http://www.audiomods.co.uk/

I have the Classic series three Arm (Frosted Finish) and it is the last arm I will ever buy.

A friend had the Series 5 arm on his 1200 and it was a very good fit

Jeff at Audiomods is very responsive to questions if interested

Perhaps something to think about at a future date maybe :-)

For other readers: Audiomods now have 9" and 10.5" versions of their series 6 arm - with azimuth adjustment.
- Starting from around $1300 US

Regards - Steve