Upgrade time?

Hello Gents,

I am at a point where I am contemplating the reality of upgrading my pre/pro. I’ve been running the PAV/PDSD for a long time now. I am a two channel listener and a 5.1 listener. To be honest, over the years, it has been hard to find anything with the sound quality and versatility of these two units. After the fall of free roaming audio with the advent of HDMI I have been able to get great results with an audio extractor. The issue now becomes the codecs. I would prefer to not buy a throwaway piece for the 5.1 (older marantz/denon, etc). I think the NAD M17v2i looks good on paper and the modular upgrade feature is wonderful. However, having heard the Node and other NAD products the sound is a bit harsh for me.

I’ve considered getting an older ML 502. It is limited to HDMI 1.1. As I understand it, 1.1 will not decompress True HD and Master? What happens if it is decoded at the source and not passed through? Will it downconvert?
Any suggestions or alternatives? I don’t have an interest in Atmos or MQA as those codecs appear to be designed to just sell more gear. Just 5.1. Pure, balanced two channel switching is a must too.

Any thoughts?
dutch
The sound quality you want is so easily attainable once you ditch the surround processor. Multichannel is like an anchor dragging you down. You know it. I know you know it. "Just designed to sell more gear." Red pill reality, blue pill multichannel designed to sell more gear. Choose wisely.
Understood. Very much appreciate your candor. A rare find these days. Maybe I should just look for a better DAC.