Upgrade Linn LP 12 or buy new table

I would like to get back into vinyl after an approx. 17 year absence. I have a Linn LP 12 that I bought in 1983 which I used for 15 years and then put into storage. I never got rid of my vinyl. So my question is : Do I upgrade my LP 12 to the tune of three to four thousand dollars or do I spend the same amount on a new turntable and sell the LP 12?  Everyone's two cents worth would be greatly appreciated.  Thanks
hal253

Showing 7 responses by hal253

• I apologize for not providing more details. The LP12 has an Ittok arm on it. I bought a Goldring Eroica LX cart.and a Jolida JD9 II phono preamp to use no matter what path I take. Since it's been a long time since I last played vinyl and the rest of my system is way beyond what I was listening to when I last played the Linn I figured some upgrade was due in the turntable. My present system consists of:
  • Conrad Johnson CT5 preamp
  • Velocce Saetta Amps
  • Esoteric X03 SE CD player
  • Focal Utopia Diablo speakers
  • Focal Electra sub
.     Thanks so far for your help. Have a great day.   Henry    
Thanks to everyone who has responded. There may be wisdom in sticking with the Linn for now and hear what happens. It is quite interesting to read the various people's posts who definitely have their own strong opinions either for or against the Linn. I don't remember ever seeing as much conflict regarding a single piece of gear as I have the Linn in these forums.
 Cheers
Thanks for the advice.  I was wondering if anyone in the group has an opinion/experience with the SOTA line of turntables. They are made in the USA and appear to be a similar in design to the Linn.      
Thanks
Again,Thanks for the input. Since my Linn is pre-Cirkus,should that be the first upgrade as well as having the table tuned? Also it is possible to put an OL Ultra motor kit into the Linn. Anyone with experience with this?
bpoletti
What if I have EPI 100 speakers instead of the AR's driven by an Apt Holman preamp and an Yamaha B1 amplifier. LOL