Upgrade from Wyred 4 Sound STP-SE

Hello Friends,

I'm considering an 'upgrade' from the fine Wyred 4 Sound STP-SE. I love the transparency and bass control and the sound staging. I find my self yearning for bit more of that tube mid range magic but don't want to give up what I have in this pre-amp. I've been considering some of the BAT and ARC products which will be a significant amount of extra $$ even second hand. I'd love to hear your thoughts.
black528
Black528:
This was just an idea, their are of course more cost effective ways to get there. You could even simply try cables that are known to impart a warmer more full bodied signature.
Black528..more than likely your aware of Sonic Frontiers and their remarkable tube electronics back in the 90's which included the Power 1 Amp and their Line 1 Preamp. Their CD players were tube based as well. The founders, Chris Johnson and Chris Jensen are tube guys. I suggested getting your STP-SE upgraded by Chris Johnson, and more than likely his mods would bring the STP-SE much closer to sound like a tube Preamp which you want to achieve.
I went from a W4S STI-500 (some of the same circuitry as the STP-SE) to a BAT VK-52SE with Hypex NCore's for amps. IMHO, I strongly disagree with the description of BAT being labelled as overly DARK or a WARM LAYER OF CARAMEL.

To be perfectly honest though, I think that for the price differential over the STP-SE, you are going to only get a small improvement in performance with ANY pre-amp.

Mine sounds perfectly neutral. I cannot tell how much of the change is coming from the new amps and how much is coming from the new Pre-amps, but overall, my system went from sounding excellent to superb.

I think the only way you are going to find out is to try one in your system. I think if you find a good deal on a used BAT or ARC unit that fits your needs, go ahead and get it and if it doesn't work out for you, you should be able to resell it for a similar price meaning you will only be out shipping costs.

Another one to consider would be the Modwright. I had it narrowed down to that one and the BAT and found a better deal on the BAT before the Modwright. I am perfectly happy with the sound of my system now and am not planning on upgrading/changing anything currently.
Merlin:

Glad you are enjoying your system. I just wanted to make clear that I did not say "Bat" in general had the characteristics I discussed. I spoke specifically of the unit I had :) the Bat Rex. I can not speak to the VK-52SE :)
If you can find one used, I heartily recommend the Von Gaylord LAD-L2 at relatively little additional cost to you. I used to own the STP-SE, then a Conrad Johnson CT5, and have had the L2 much longer than both. It has a lot of that vivid, soul-reaching tube magic but is also very detailed and clean, but not edgy. There is not a whole lot of info about it out there, but it's there, and you'll see that it is quite beloved by those who've experienced it.