Up to $4000US tower speakers for Jazz and Classical Music

Hello All!

My wife and I are musicians who happen to also love listening to music! Last 3 years we have used a pair of Q acoustics Concept 40 tower speakers powered (now) by and Audiolab 6000A integrated. We listen to 90% of our music on CDs (Audiolab CD transport) or vinyls (Audiotechnica turntable). Mostly jazz and classical music in our roughly 53 square meters (550 sq ft) living room. Some other speakers came and went but we have so far liked the Q acoustics more than any other. We like their honesty with a tinge of warmness, but they are also engaging, open sounding, dynamic, airy! We love how chamber music sounds on them: string quartets, piano trios (jazz or classical), voices, big bands, etc... but we do miss a bit of that lower octave the Q acoustics simply don't have. A friend lent me a pair of Elac Adante AS-61 but did no like them much. lots of transient attack (which was good for percussion instruments) but it somehow changed the color/timbre of other instruments. I work also as a mixing engineer and have a pair of Neumann KH310 monitors in my treated room so I can say I'm picky with sound. Of course we don't want the analytical sound of the Neumanns in our living room (completely different beasts) but we want speakers to still be honest, but engaging, open, dynamic, airy. We are looking for a pair of tower speakers around $4000 that will provide us with a more believable orchestral crescendo, pianissimo, fortissimo, and that lower octave of a double bass the Concept 40s can't provide (by the way, we don't want a sub; tried several and simply did not like the overall presentation). We are looking at possibilities in Crutchfield, Music Direct or Amazon in case we need to return them (we live in the countryside and can't audition any speakers nowhere near!). Our list includes: Klipsch Forte III, Definitive Technology Demand D17, Kef R7, JBL HDI-3800, Dali Opticon 8MK2, Revel F206 and B&W 703 S2 or 704 S2. They will have to be efficient as the Audiolab does not have a ton of power! Any suggestions, greatly appreciated!! Thanks!

langelo68

Thanks again for the incredible input! no plans to upgrade the Audiolab as we just upgraded the amp (by the way, we find the synergy between the Audiolab amp and its CD transport to be excellent). We are aware it does not have a lot of power but we are amazed at how good the Q Acoustics sound with the Audiolab. Sooo much better! We will definitely need a pair of efficient (high sensitivity) speakers with the Audiolab, so Magnepans (for what I’ve read), unfortunately, will not work for us.

to spend 4 grand on a pair of better speakers to play jazz/classical, yet have the choice limited by an audiolab integrated amplifier power output is unwise, in my opinion - especially as the 6000a has pre outs to drive a power amp

Try Sandy Gross's GoldenEar technology Triton series active speakers.  I personally do not have them since they were above my budget but during my own search for speakers I had listened to them and they sounded absolutely fantastic.

Furthermore.... you do not need a separate subwoofer since those are built into the towers.

LOTS of great Speakers in this thread!  May I make a suggestion?  Check out Bache Audio in Brooklyn, NY.  Greg Belman treated me right and a few years ago I had him build me a custom set of Tribecca-001's.  Will post a picture of these beautiful speakers and I am 3000 miles away and went on a recommendation - SO glad I did.  Greg worked with me every step of the way and I reached out asking questions about his white pair of Tribecca's and we worked out a deal and now I have a pair that are painted in a beautiful Champagne glossy color!  I know the Tribeccas's are above the 4000 mark, but I believe Greg has many other options, including the Metro and lots others.  I primarily listen to two channel listening and don't even hook up my Revel sub, these speakers sound so awesome with Jazz, Rock, Classical and have tons of bass and the voices are surreal!  I plan to have Greg build me another set, possibly with a single ten inch or dual tens possibly in the future.  Please give him a try or reach out to me for further questions, etc.  I LOVE my speakers and can't wait to try some others in his line.  My Tribecca-001 have dual 8 inch drivers and the best tweeter I have heard.  I have tried these speakers with my 80w NAD up to my 400w Parasound.  I currently have them hooked up to my Rotel 300 watt per channel two channel amp.  Love these speakers.   -Brett (Tucson)

https://bacheaudio.com/

https://www.facebook.com/www.bacheaudio/

For $7K you can get the best speakers on the world market 

KMD Orchestalls Loudspeakers 

"The world's first speakers that sounds like LIVE MUSIC" 

They should be back at Axpona 2023 Show next year ! 

Made in South Korea

Maybe consider getting subs to go with the speakers you already have. A pair would get you there.