unman M-900u for Focal Sopras 2 and 3

I'm driving a Focal Sopra 3 with PS Audio Monoblocks.  I want to switch to Luxman M-900u.  Is that amp strong enough to drive the Sopra 2 or 3?
daj2832

Showing 4 responses by jbrrp1

I've run an M900u on my TAD CR-1's and it gets them plenty loud (86 dB/2.83V/m).  Prior to that I was using the BHK 300 Mono's, and I have not felt volume constraint.  Now, they are not the best match for the TAD's, tonally (too light and zippy in combo), so I am back to using the BHK's (with the C900u preamp!). 
I do think that the Luxman M900u has very promising sound qualities - - so much so that it gets me thinking about finding the right speakers to match it!  The TAD's are definitely not the right ones, probably more something along the lines of Sonus Fabers would be an outstanding match, I'm guessing.
To stay with the TAD's it would be interesting to try a powerful Pass Labs approach.
That could be an interesting amp to try.  I bought a Pass Labs XA 30.8 for use with some high sensitivity speakers, and also I tried it out with the TAD's.  It was a bit warmer and "gauzier" in the upper bass, low mids than I would like, and it seemed to lack dynamic spark.  Now, it could just be underpowered for the TAD's, clearly, but it was not a good match.  So far, the BHK mono's have been the best with them.
As with all things in audio, you do hear some alluring aspects from the M900u that make you want that, but mixed with the best virtues of the other amps you try - - keeps us wishing, doesn't it!
I was surprised that they didn't like each other, too.  I don't know the ME1.  The CR-1's do need some work so they don't present too "light", IME, and this seems to be the issue with the Luxman pre + amp driving them.  The pre with my BHK mono's has a lot to offer (the pre clearly bests the BHK Sig preamp I had been using).  This weekend I get to start messing with an ARC Ref 40 preamp, and maybe this will synergize with the M900u - - that's my hope!  I really have heard a lot to like in both the C900u and the M900u, but with my CR-1's it seems to be "too much of a good thing".