Universal Players. Marantz 8400 vs.Denon 5900

Neither of these Players are available for me to listen to. The previous Marantz Universal player got poor reviews and the Denon 2900 reportably does not play regular CD's well.

So can anyone help , how would the latest offerings from Marantz (8400) and the Denon(5900) compare?
SCAD sound, DVD-A sound,DVD-Video,CD,and DVD.

I have now a large collection of Hybrid and single layer SCAD's and DVD-A that I would like to start playing.

Thank you in advance.
128x128ozzy

Showing 2 responses by lenardd

Dougdeacon,

Regarding Underwoodwally, he sends them to Chris Johnson (of Sonic Frontier's fame). Parts Connecxion has already modded well over a dozen of the 5900s.

Incidently for those interested, they honor the Denon warranty after it is modded....unlike other modders. This is a BIG, BIG plus in my book. This is what he told me:

"...we will honour the warranty...PCX will either repair it, or get it repaired (by Denon), at our cost, over the same warranty period DENON offers..."

The only thing I'm NOT SURE of is whether one has to buy the player from them for this offer. That said, they do have a very good price on the stock 5900....at least here in Canada.
Dougdeacon,

At first I thought the same thing but, if you read on Wally's site, he mentions:

"In exclusive partnership with top-tier modification houses Parts ConneXion and ModWright, Underwood HiFi is proud to offer carefully tested, factory-authorized performance enhancement packages for select brands and models that honor the manufacturer's warranties."

Parts ConneXion is owned by Chris Johnson. Like you said, both modders are well respected so you can't go wrong doing business with Wally.