Universal Players. Marantz 8400 vs.Denon 5900

Neither of these Players are available for me to listen to. The previous Marantz Universal player got poor reviews and the Denon 2900 reportably does not play regular CD's well.

So can anyone help , how would the latest offerings from Marantz (8400) and the Denon(5900) compare?
SCAD sound, DVD-A sound,DVD-Video,CD,and DVD.

I have now a large collection of Hybrid and single layer SCAD's and DVD-A that I would like to start playing.

Thank you in advance.
128x128ozzy

Showing 2 responses by dougdeacon

Ozzy you might take a look at the (endless) 5900 thread over at avsforum. Lots of video talk of course, but there are some serious audiophiles contributing also. One says the Denon nearly matches his Consonance, close enough that he's put the latter up for sale here.

People are also considering having Underwoodwally mod the analog stage of a 5900 for them. He's just waiting for schematics from Denon.
Lenarrd, interesting info about Underwood using Chris Johnson. I always assumed Wall did the mods himself. No matter I suppose, he has a great reputation.

Wally will mod a unit you send to him or sell you a pre-modded one. I got an email from him last week saying his 5900 mods were ready to go. He didn't mention pricing yet.

Anyone interested in the Marantz should take a hard look at the video side before committing, if that's important to them. The deinterlacer and video decoder in the Denon are virtually world class, the ones in the Marantz...