Ugly vs Gogeous speakers

I know speakers should be all about sound but I can't help responding to the look as well and this presents me with a dilemma.

I have owned B&W Nautilus 803's for many years and love the sound and value (excellent sound for reasonable cost). I would love to upgrade but I (and wife) think that the retro Star Wars R2D2 looking speaker (802) is nothing we would have in our living space.

What do others think the best looking / sounding speaker is? Do looks matter to you?

128x128jyprez

Showing 6 responses by 213runnin

I recently came across a speaker brand that has models costing even up to 3-5000, with the top model costing $12,000.  Everyone of their models fell off the ugly bus, I kid you not.  Owners warn NOT to try the speaker grills.  These Tekton models make me grimace and shake my head at the missed opportunity. 

Anyone with a lick of good taste in their body knows they are ugly.  One shouldn't have to look at ugly every night just to get to heaven, and I'm speaking of musical bliss.  Life is too short.  

Tekton obviously needs to start listening to feedback with a little more attention.
Imhififan, I'm not sure which, but I can't stop staring at them.  They're like robots!
Yeah, it’s quite odd about the Tektons. The box designs are all the old rectangle cabinet, now only used in the entry level stuff. Even Pioneer has curved cabinets in their FP-FS52’s that go for under $300.

And the paint colors that they offer are no improvement. Bright harsh tones instead of at least a nice laminate or stain finish. And the grill cloth tone definitely clashes instead of complementing things.

Which is too bad because the drivers are quite plain too. The whole package is just off putting to say the least. They obviously need a woman’s touch because they have no idea how to make their speakers attractive to the eye.

If they were asking Pioneer type prices, under 500, I could understand, but 3000, 5000 and 12000? Not for prime time.
I think it could be said that some speaker designs are quite unusual in appearance.  One either likes it or hates it.  Other designs are quite conservative which equates to boring, the boxy design with a narrow width and longer depth made out of some variety of budget conscious MDF.  But at least with many of these, stains or wood grain laminates are often offered to dress it up.

I still like the curved cabinet variety, with a nice wood grain, but even that is probably seen as conservative by some.  Still, it's usually a lot harder to manufacture, or at least if your doing it to minimize standing waves and resonances.  I'm still surprised that a newish company like Tekton has paid such little attention to looks, with greens, blues and yellows as color options for a 3000+ speaker.  Hideous.

Wolfe_g, my wife is the same.  Although when I switched from towers to standmounts in my theater, she didn't quite care for that.  Her hearing is quite sensitive, but she just doesn't care about audio whatsoever. 
I agree Tannoys can be nice, some of their Definition series is quite good to me.

Those Duevel Planets are something completely different, quite a conversation piece!