Two Subwoofers... Comb Effect

is there such a thing like 'comb effect' as result of having two subwoofer (stereo) in the same room? And how do I know it?
Thanks
maab
Thanks Todd,
That Harmon International link is not only interesting....it is the first quasi scientific documentation that appears to prove that multi subs are the only real way to go.
Halcro, Todd Welti et al published a couple of thoroughly scientific (nothing "quasi" about them) papers on the same subject in the Journal of the Audio Engineering Society a few years ago. What you see at the link above is the version he wrote for non-engineers.

Another very scientific proponent of multiple subwoofers is Earl Geddes, though he hasn't published any peer-reviewed papers on the subject. His approach differs from that described in the Welti papers somewhat; Earl advocates asymmetrical placement. Here is a brief study he did comparing four-corners placement with asymmetrical placement of four subs:

http://www.gedlee.com/downloads/sub%20study%20.pdf

I use a simplified quasi-Geddes placement strategy; I do not elevate one of the subs as he recommends.

Duke
I was logged in on the account of a physically challenged friend (with his permission) when I posted above.

Duke
The 'study' room was 2x as long as high. and 'medium' damped, whatever that is. Was it meant to be 'average'?
All you can say is that IN THIS CASE...the results were as noted. I'd love to see this repeated in my room with 8 walls, 2 of which are at 45's, and an asymmetrical vaulted ceiling.
In the test room, the 1st plots 100hz (aprox) peak can be accounted for since the height of 3.5m is about 95hz at 1100ft/sec.
What I take away from this is that a listening area is not just floor space, but a 3d problem, something I knew before.