TV selections

I am currently looking for a new TV, probably 36" or above for my living room.

My living room is like this:

_______empty space________
|-------------------------TV----|
|SP--------------------------SP|
|--------------------------------|
|--------------sofa--------------|
|________________________|

The vieing distance is about 9-11'.
Should I get a 16:9 RPTV (47" or 42")(panny, Toshiba, Samsung) or a Direct View 36" TV (Sony HS500, XBR800 or Panny)? I am going to watch DVD 35%, Direct TV 40% and tape 25%.

I know this may not be the optimal location to place the TV but that's the only option for me (WAF). Also, RPTV is mostly for watching DVD althought samsung 42" RPTV is acceptable for watching SDTV, tape, etc when I tried it in Best Buy. For direct view, it is more for my wife to watch TV and tape. I am going to keep this for a while so I am more incline to get a HD-ready TV.

Or, should I just save it up now and get a 36" analog TV for 600-800 bucks and wait a couple more years? What's your experience with Direct view TV with 9-11' watching distance, will that make a differece between a HD TV and an analog one?

Thanks so much for your helps.
fever104

Showing 3 responses by fever104

TV selections
Thank you all for the advises.
I have not decided which way to go yet, there are a few options:

1. just go for the min - get a 36" flat screen regular TV and save up for the really matured product in 2 years.

2. get a 36" HD ready tube for now and in a year or two, get a nicer projector and hang a sliding screen (ideal case) on the top of the empty space (that's the opening to my dinning room with a high ceiling on my living room).

For RPTV, it will be very nice to have one for watching movie but I am concerned with the viewing angle as well as the light (plenty) from the left side since that is going out to the back yard. The main reason for RPTV is to get a cinemas feel for watching DVD, I have be dreaming about this for a long time... 36" will probably help a bit but...

I saw a Sony HS500 selling in Frys for 1299, pretty good deal but consider buying a stand and tax and may be extended warranty, it will be a lot more than 1500, close to 1700. In this economy, this may not be the wise thing to do.

I really appreciated all the helps provided.
One more thing:

Yes, I just moved in so this will be the living room / HT room for at least a few years. Ideally, I should use either the back wall or the right side of the room to place my TV but my wife is very reluctant in letting me to do that. I am very thankful already since she let me buy whatever is good (of course with a reasonable price). I have consider the 40xbr800 (since I know someone who works for Sony and can get me some discount) but still 2 grands is probably a bit too much for a TV. You see, I am the one who is reluctant to spend, not my wife... :P Also, spending 2 grands and find out in 2 years that the TV is obsolete is very disturbing too. Man, this is much harder than finding Mrs. Right.
Final decision:
40XBR800

I will give me a decent pq and screen area for now and I can still watch HD broadcast in the future.

My friend's friend works for Sony so I can get a good price for it (21 grand total with stand and tax)

_______empty space________
|------------------------sp--T--|
|------------------------------V-|
|-----s-----------------------sp-|
|-----o--------------------------|
|-----f--------------------------|
|-----a--------------------------|
|---------sofa-------------------|
|________________________|

Thank you all for your inputs.

Have a good day.