Turntable / Arm combo for around $2000. new.

I want to buy a turntable and get back into vinyl. I am seriously looking at the Clearaudio Concept. Are there any better tabele/arm choices for around $2000. new? I have not had a turntable since the early 90's so I don't want to deal with trying to set everything up myself. Buying new seems like the best way to go. I can always get a better table later if I want to get more serious. But for now I want something that is going to sound good without a lot of trouble.
128x128lostbears

Showing 3 responses by lostbears

Macdadtexas, That is a very interesting point that I had not thought of. My main reason for wanting to buy new was so that I could have someone who knows what they are doing setup the table. Buying used would give me a lot more options. It never occurred to me that I could just buy the cartridge from a local dealer. Assuming that I did this, how expensive should it be to have the dealer install it and setup the table? I had assumed that if I purchased both the table and cartridge from them it would probably be included . Thanks!

If I buy a used table I am concerned that it may not be set up properly or modified. If I buy a new table from a local dealer, I can have the dealer install the cartridge and make all the adjustments. That way I know everything is set up properly. I would have no problem buying a used table from a dealer but so far I have not seen one that I like.

Thanks to everyone for all the suggestions. Both the Michell TechnoDec and the Origin Live Aurora MK2 look very interesting. I will see if I can find local dealers. I had also thought about a VPI Scout. The Classic is a bit out of my price range.

I mainly listen to classic rock. But also some blues, jazz and classical. I like a very accurate and detailed sound with excellent imaging and soundstage. Nothing that sounds overly romantic or syrupy. I have owned a number of amp/preamp combinations in the past 20 some years but I have always come back to ARC gear.

My system consists of an Audio Research Ref 110 amp, Audio Research LS25 mk2 preamp and Martin Logan SL3 speakers. I will probably get a used Audio Research PH5 or PH7 phono preamp but that is not written in stone.

As I said I have not had a turntable since the early 90's and that was an inexpensive Harmon Kardon. I had bought it along with a HK 680i back in the mid 80's. I don't remember ever playing with the setup or doing much to it.