Tubes in Audio Research Equipment: 6550

Are there any opinions on sound characteristic of these tubes? Do they sound too much like solid state or are they just more neutral? Do tube amps exist which are not overly euphonic?
haydn_josef

Showing 1 response by jcbtubes

Wolzst- I think you'll find that most current tube amps are far more neutral than tube amps of the past. Better passive components have allowed designers to obtain far more detail and control from recent tube equipment. Of course, most tube products still benefit from modifications and tweaks. From improved parts quality, NOS tubes, increasing/improving the power supply, etc... one can radically alter the sound of any tube product. As for the sound of the tube, it is the circuit combined with the tube that produces the sound. Although certain characteristics can be attributed to a particular tube brand and type, it's always best to let your ears be the judge in the context of your system to determine if you like one tube over another. In general, I prefer the sound of NOS tubes in my equipment over current Chinese, or Russian tubes. Just my .02