tubes and analog

I just "upgraded" from a Mac SS integrated to a Prima luna dialogue 2 tube amp. The reason that I changed amps was that i assumed that the tube amp would be a better match for my Zu Druid speakers. The amp change was a big improvment for listening through my CDP....but not so when listening to my Rega P9. I had to switch to my spare SS phono stage (Graham slee) to get it to sound right. I was using a tube phono (AES) with my Mac. In Short, my tube amp with SS phono stage is not really an upgrade from my Mac with Tube phono stage. My question is.....should i consider a further upgrade to a better tube phono pre or is it simply that a change from SS to Tube amp is more "pronounced" in digital playback?
csmithbarc

Showing 1 response by docsavageskid710

To everyone (especially Thom),

I’ve just started writing a book about Docsavage — an homage to a great hero of mine. It has been so interesting/beautiful/emotional to read all his old posts on here. Re: Raul, it sort of (sorry) made me laugh because Doc wasn’t like that. He was a very brilliant, kind, and forgiving man. It’s surprising he would say that on the internet. He was a great teacher though. He once advised me to read the book The Four Agreements. That book changed my lifeAs he led my horse to water (he might muse), Doc said: “Don’t take anything personally and never make assumptions (pass judgment) because you can’t know the road another has walked.” I think that fits well here, no matter the timing. 

And Thom, this might be better suited for a direct message, but I heard a few years ago (2020) you liked some of the same music. In response to ‘Is marketing mad?’, may i suggest some songs/records? 

Ben Howard, ‘Small Things’ (I Forget Where We Were) 

Maggie Rogers, ‘Overnight’ (Heard It in a Past Life) Esp for Raul ;) 

Marc Cohn, ‘Ghost Train’ (Marc Cohn) 

Ondara, ‘Lebanon’ (Tales of America) 

Van Morrison, ‘Rough God Goes Riding’  (The Healing Game - Doc’s favorite Van record) 

Van Morrison, ‘Into the Mystic’ (Moondance) 

O.A.R., ‘The Architect’ (The Rockville LP) 

City and Colour, ‘Meant to Be’ (The Love Still Held Me Near) — a perfect song on a great record.

Diane Birch, ‘Forgiveness’ + ‘Ariel’ + ‘Rewind’ (Bible Belt — another Doc favorite) 

Trevor Hall, ‘Forgive’ (Kala) 

Bon Iver, ‘Wash.’ (Bon Iver) 

Bears Den, ‘Agape’ + ‘Elysium’ (Islands) 

Van Morrison, ‘So Quiet In Here’ (Enlightenment) 

Aimee Mann, ‘Lost In Space’ (Lost In Space)  - his ultimate. 

…in his memory… 

Thank you for everything, Thom. 

I plan on buying my own Gavia II after I graduate and save up my own money. It’s my main mid-life goal. Truly a special turntable. That system was like a sibling to me. I’ve been on here trying to figure out the amps he had (not the tubes) as I only referred to them as “R2 and D2”. 

Rest in Paradise Docsavage. 

Best wishes, 

A