Tube preamp suggestions.

I enjoy a lush sound with extended decays, bass with weight, and holographic mids. PRAT, speed, and resolution are not my top prioroties. Looking for a preamp that will compliment my vintage Mcintosh MC275 ( decked out to my tastes with gold lions and telefunkens ) amp and bring digital closer to analogue. Not interested in 6h30 tubes, tried cary slp98, bat and AR ls25 mk2...I seem to prefer the 6922 based versions. Associated gear is Focus Audio FS-88 speakers, using Harmonix interconnects & powercords and nordost SPM cables. I already have dedicated lines and using wattgate outlets with no power conditioners. I really enjoyed the Supratek Shyrah but found it very microphonic, couldnt get within 15 feet of it with a cell phone. Im interested in Emotive preamps and Blue circle but no dealers remotly close to my area. Any opinions on these 2 or or suggestions would be appreciated.
velo62

Showing 1 response by dpac996

interesting thread. I had an LS25MKII, currently have an LS15 on tap, but have been using a Promitheus TVC. TOmorrow however I get to hook up a BAT VK5i (6922 for current sources and signal gain). I have been a bit mental lately zeroing in on a long term preamp. I suspect the vk5i will be a good match and offer the traits I desire. I like a bit of romance, yet fast, detailed, and powerful with a dense soundstage. The TVC is surprisingly good at most of these things but lacks that last bit of palpable realism (to my ears) capable of the rest of my gear. I really mean the TVC is outstanding though, and especially for the asking prive... I have been listening to it for weeks now and swapping back and forth between that and the LS15 there is no obvious "winner".
However, I suspect that Vk5i will be in another league and I look forward to getting to know it. It has been my experience with the LS25MKII, that, basically it is ruthlessly revealing. Very detailed, yet sometimes painfully illuminating subtle flaws in either the source material or elsewhere... Probably a great tool for a mastering engineer's studio but a bit too much for my tastes (I did not have a go with it in my current system, rather previous incarnations with similiar equipment, it is quite possible that it would be a stunning match with the Pass!). It all depends on your own desires (obviously) and some find great peace with the 6h30 designs (it is probably wrong to stereotype a gain device). I would like to try other manufacturer's implementations on this tube, esp say the BAT Vk51 someday.

Have fun