Tube Preamp Recommendations?

Hello, I'm a newbie to this forum.  I'm on the hunt for a new tube pre-amp.  I think.  It is replacing an aging PSE Hybrid Line Stage 1 preamp.  Several of the RCA outputs on the PSE don't work, the power button is finicky, and it is all original, ostensibly in need of major overhaul.  Labels on capacitors and other parts have fallen off, etc.  I love the slightly warm (to my ear) holographic sound of the PSE.  I would like to upgrade the SQ.  I find bright, high resolution sound like that of my KEF X300A computer desktop speakers very fatiguing after a short period of time.  

My system consists of an Auralic Aries Mini with SBooster power supply > Kimber Kable PBJ RCA interconnects> PSE HL1 > Kimber Kable Hero RCA interconnect > N.E.W. A-20 amp > Analysis Plus Oval 9 speaker wire > ProAc Response Two S speakers mounted on very beefy steel stands.  I stream a lot of Tidal on the Aires' Lighting DS app.

My short list of possible replacements are AR SP6, AR SP8, CJ PV10 and Quicksilver Full Function.  Two other options are AI Modulus 3A and ModWright LS 100 (if i can find a good deal on one--it's a stretch for my budget), but I'm afraid these two might be too neutral or bright for my ear.  I'd appreciate any recommendations.  Overhauling the PSE preamp is a possibility, but one audio professional i trust told me i can really improve SQ over the PSE.

Thanks for any tips or advice!
robert1234
@robert1234

For 12AX7’s, my favourite tubes are:

1. Shuguang Custom 12AX7-LS $120/pr
- new production tubes
2. Mazda Chrome Plate 12AX7 $320/pr
- NOS tubes
3. Psvane 12AX7-TII $100/pr
- new production tubes
I’d like to post my real world experience with 2 different hand made low production number preamps at 2 very different price points. My aim is to not disparage any maker and to just share my personal experience. Per usual, your results may vary.

Maple Tree Audio Line 2CRM ($800): Upon unboxing, my initial impressions of the preamp and power supply were "wow this thing feels and looks like an old old Heath kit high school project". The cabinets were extremely light and the front and back printing were applied stickers. Cheap plastic remote. The end piece wood was finished unevenly but looked nice. I reminded myself of all the nice reviews online and plugged it in to only find there was cross-talk between input channels. Boxed up, sent back for repair and received same unit back fairly quickly without detailed explanation of what was fixed. After listening to the preamp for about 100 hours, I started looking for another preamp. I found the the soundstage to be very thin and could never solve a very annoying low level but omnipresent 60 Hz amp that only occurred with preamp in play. My experience in this regard is not unique- there are other posts online about this 60 cycle hum that cant be fixed. My system lacked a low end presence and the music seemed very confined to my speakers. I started to wonder if I needed new speakers or a new amp. Decided to change preamp out. I wouldn’t feel comfortable selling this unit in good faith to anyone as my experience simply did not match the many very positive online reviews.

Don Sachs Custom 6SN7 line stage ($2700) : Upon unboxing my initial impression was "wow heavy for a preamp and the walnut cabinet and printed plates were exceptional. The custom remote is a nice chunk of metal". After set up, I put on my favorite D’Angelo vinyl, summoned my wife to the room and the music started playing. Absolutely the blackest of black black black black background. Zero . Outer space silent. Open air. Massive wide and deep soundstage. In fact my non audiophile wife even pointed exactly to where the singer was standing and I could see she finally "got it". My speakers disappeared. Over the next hours the preamp broke in as expected and I am hearing subtleties in tracks that I have listed to hundreds of times that have never been exposed. No more thoughts of replacing my speakers. I really cant find anything to knit pick. No shortcomings. Lives up to the reviews and exceeds my expectations of what a preamp can do to your system.

I’m well aware I am comparing $800 vs $ 2700. But in reality, there is no comparison.
@croatan128, your experience mirrors mine. A few months ago I put in new 1.0uF Vcap ODAM output caps and it took the pre to another level, which I didn’t think was possible. More detail and more intimacy—like I’m sharing space with the vocals and stringed instruments I’m hearing right in my living room. I coupled the pre with Don’s KT-88 amp and the pair are just divine. Other parts of my system have since come and gone, but I have no intention of parting with Don’s pre and amp. Enjoy!