Tube Preamp and SS Amps - How?

I am considering moving to a tube preamp and SS power amp set up. Are there any rules of thumb in getting a proper match and what should I look out for or avoid? Any suggestions or insight would be greatly appreciated!!

Thanks!
stereomaniac
Ohlala gives good advice with his 100X formula, although, sometimes satisfactory results can be achieved with less difference than that. Generally, tube preamps have higher output impedance than solid-state units, and transistor amplifiers often have lower input impedance than tube models and that's where the potential for mismatch creeps in. If you own a unit now that you intend to keep and use, then the 100x formula should be a consideration in your search for a matching piece. I usually like to see around 50k input impedance in a solid-state amp, as that will mate well with many tube preamps. Then, using that 100x formula, you can go up to 500 ohms output impedance (or thereabouts) in the preamp without a problem.
Just for clairfication. My Ayre V-3 states that it has an input impedence of 100K per phase. That means I can have a pre-amp of up to 1,000 ohms output impedence or does the per phase effect the formula? Thanks!
You will find this out. Using a tube preamp and solid state amp will give you very good transparancy but lowend and dynamics will suffer somewhat but still be good. if you listen at lower levels tube preamp great. Ive used Audio research LS1. LS 2bII balanced. Audible illusionsM3A. I now have a krell KBL Balanced that just blows the other 3 away in dynamics but isnt quite as airy or transparnt. A good trade off on my side. Thru a krell ksa250 amp. (Killer). Ihave used enough giant amps fill this page and always end up with the ksa250. My 3rd one. good luck!!
Here's the missing bit of info:
if the ratio of the pre's output impedance vs. amp's input impedance is marginal, then keep the interconnects SHORT. 2 meters or less is recommended. If you have to have long interconnects, your chances of success are better with a balanced (XLR/XLR) system. Worst case scenario: preamp w/ 500 ohm output impedance driving 20 ft of RCA/RCA cable into an amp w/ 10k ohm input impedance.
Best of luck,
Joe
Folks it is not only the impedance matching you should take into the consideration.

In general SS amps give out full power with just 1V or bellow at input and tube preamps might have an extraneous gain. Many tube preamps have can be noisy if paired with sencitive SS amps at low volume levels. The good solution is to have a low gain tube preamp with SS power amps.