Tube Pre+ Transistor Power will burn your power Amp. easily?

I used to combine with a tube pre + transistor power with the ideal sound which I prefer. But one of my friend told me recently that such kind of combination will burn out power amp. easily if I use a tube pre.

Is this theory or practice true?

faust168

Showing 2 responses by noble100

Faust 168,

I agree with your other responses, I think this is not valid but I'm not certain.  I'd like to find out from an expert just to be certain.

On the one hand, I combined a tube VTL pre-amp with a ss Aragon amp for years and it sounded very good.  I know it's very important to make sure the input impedance of the ss amp needs to be at least 10 times the output impedance of the tube pre-amp for a good match.  But I've never heard of these combos causing harm to the ss amp.

On the other hand, some capacitors in my ss Aragon amp's power supply leaked after a few years and I had to replace it.  However, I attributed this to the amp being 15 yrs old and not to using a tube pre-amp.  I think I'm correct but am not certain.

Better safe than sorry,
           Tim
atmasphere,

Thanks for your expert validation that tube pre-amps cause no harm to ss amps.