tube pre suggestion

Hi Everyone,

I'm currently running an all nuforce system with the P8 preamp and the ref 9SE (currently v1, soon to be v2) amps. I have this hooked to Thiel PCS speakers.

I'd like to dump the nuforce pre and try something else. I've heard that a tubed pre is the way to go with my amps...a buddy of mine who I trust heard the Modwright SWL 9.0 SE with the nuforce amps and said it was incredible.

I'm new to experimenting with preamps--my other system has a Krell integrated so I've never needed to play with in this area. Any suggestions on where to start? My budget is $1500-$2k, and I'm thinking used market exclusively to maximize my value.

Comments from the Audiogon Gurus are appreciated!
samgupta101

Showing 2 responses by samgupta101

HI Guys--I just wanted to thank everyone for the suggestions so far. Audiogon is filled with great people and sometimes in our hobby it's hard to get advice from people who don't have hidden agendas.

Stevecham--the Krell integrated does sound very good with the Thiels. I'm running that combo now...one of the nuforce amps died on me. No idea what went wrong there, but my dealer is taking good care of me and is working out a good price on the upgrade as compensation.

Tvad--you are right with my taste in presentation! Good guess ;)

Thanks again for all the suggestions--I'll poke around and will check out the recommended units. If there are any other ideas please feel free to toss them in the ring...

-Sam
Just wanted to thank everyone again for all the great suggestions. I've got many more leads to check out that I otherwise would not have known.

Mdrummer01--we also share the same choice of ICs...i've been runnng the AZ matrix IIs as well. Great soundstage and the used market is pretty fertile with them!

thanks again :)
-Sam