Tube newbie, Audio Research questions?

I have had SS gear all my life and know nothing about tubes but thinking about changing over. I have done some research but need to do a lot more. How does AR gear rank in the tube status quo? I currently have Krell SS gear with Wilson W/P 7's. Thanks

Bill
wvick
To cross over to becoming a 'jar-head'; a tube guy is quite amazing. I have told this story elsewhere in A'gon, but I re-visit it. I had gone to a McIntosh dealer in the hopes of getting a domonstration of the SS 6-channel system. i was sold and ready to buy. then the salesman put on the new McIntosh 2102 tube amp and I was sure he had changed speakers on me. the differance was shocking.

I now own a 2102. I love it. This is not to say McIntosh rules (well, it does...heh, heh), but you are right to look to tubes. My wife says my system now sounds more 'woody'. this is a compliment. Of course, I hide the receipts....
Back in the 70s ARC used to be the number one manufacturer of tube gear, but nowadays there are a lot of great companies that make tube gear; Cary is one of them.
And, what´s about the combination between AR preamp and Krell amplifier. Does anybody have expierence on that?
I was recomended that option by my local dealer and would like any opinion.

Thanks.
The ARC 100.2 is way more musical than the similarly priced Krells and would be a much better choice IMO. If you want more than 100 wpc, though, you have to look elsewhere.
I am thinking of adding a tube pre (AR?) with the Krell amps and going from there. That may be a solution. I have heard good things about the AR ref 2 mk II. Any thoughts?