Tube amp advice

I am thinking of trying out tube amps. My current amps are Kharmas (MP150). My speakers are Wilson Benesch and they are not an easy load (sensitivity is 86 db, impedence 6 ohms).

So, it would seem I will need a pretty perky tube amp. Some research has shown me that the EAR 890 and the Rogue M-150's are good values in my general price range, are well regarded, and are powerful enough to drive my speakers effectively.

Any thoughts on how these two amps compare? Any thoughts on other amps that might work well?

Thanks in advance.

--dan
dgaylin
My experience is that once I tried a tube amp, I have been unable to return to (enjoy) solid state amps.
A final comment - one reason older tube amps are so desirable is that the output transformers in tube amps take forever - years - to fully break in. This is one large advantage five to ten year old amps have over new ones.

Although beside the point, another thing to remember is that the tubes are the circuit in a tube amp - if you retube the amp, you essentially have a new amp, this providing a gigantic advantage over solid-state amps for longevity (some high-profile solid-state amps become door stops if they ever lose an output transistor because the transistors have gone out of production - this won't happen to a tube amp that uses output tubes common in the tens of thousands of tubed guitar amps that are sold each year, e.g., EL-34's, 6L6, 6V6, 6550, etc., or that use a classic triode like the 300B).

A really good tube amp is like a Porsche 911 - a bit tricky to operate and conceptually not the most up-to-date, but capable of extreme performance and it will be around when most everything else is long gone.
Will the Ayon Triton do the trick? I sure hope so. I have one. I was considering buying Revel Ultima Salon 2's, rated at 86.4db into 6 ohms but was told 100 watts won't do the trick. I'm understanding it's current and not watts (thanks Raquel) so maybe it's still doable. My second choice for speakers would be the Verity Parsifal Ovations at 89db into 8 ohms. Is the Verity easier to drive since it's going into 8 0hms?
"one reason older tube amps are so desirable is that the output transformers in tube amps take forever - years - to fully break in. This is one large advantage five to ten year old amps have over new ones."

It's not unusual for me to be last on the team to find out, but is this a well established fact?
01-05-11: Phaelon
"one reason older tube amps are so desirable is that the output transformers in tube amps take forever - years - to fully break in. This is one large advantage five to ten year old amps have over new ones."

It's not unusual for me to be last on the team to find out, but is this a well established fact?
Phaelon (Threads | Answers | This Thread)<<

Only if you forget to take them out of the freezer.