Triode Wire Labs or NRG Custom The Five for my 300b SET tube amp?

So currently, my Cayin HA-300 300b SET tube amp is powered by the Morrow Audio MAP3 power cable, which I think is quite a good cable with a smooth, neutral sound fairly wide soundstage and very nice vocals and detail. I listen mostly on my LCD-3 headphones and my DAC is the Chord Hugo TT2. I also have the Western Electric 300b and Sylvania 6SN7W metal base tubes on the HA-300.

What I'd like is a bit more dynamic punch and meat without sacrificing resolution and soundstage, as well as not going too warm or too cold.

So I'm looking at two power cables, the Triode Wire Plus Seven Plus or the NRG Custom The Five. Also, is there a good reason to go with the Ten Plus or The One since the 300b tube amp?

jambaj0e

Showing 7 responses by painter24

Hi @jambaj0e 

I don't have experience with TWL cables, but I have been using the NRG Custom - The 5 on a Class A/B SS amp, and a Class D amp, and it's smaller, thinner sibling the .1 on my DAC. I also have their speaker cables - the 6:6.

In my experience, (system, room, ears etc), I would say they/NRG cables are neutral, not warm. Dynamics-wise; no complaints here, at all.

@jambaj0e 

I went with gold; I wanted a little warmth also 👍

I found Nawaz great to deal with by the way, he has a genuine passion for what he does. When I ordered the 6:6 speaker cables, he'd ust changed the design of the splitters to speaker; he couldn't wait to show me the new design I would be receiving 😊. I love the fact NRC CC is a one man operation, creating great products at a good price

I concur with Soix; my fear was that the LavriCables would be cool, lean, harsh, which are not qualities I enjoy at all, but this couldn't be further from the truth in my experience. 

You guys are a bad influence, I have the urge to explore deeper in to the Lavri range of products now 😂

+1 @soix 

I use the Lavri Grand RCA interconnects between DAC and amp. Lovely, clear, purity of tone. I'd like to experiment more with Lavri to be honest. I would like to try their power cords, especially on my amp, but they don't do UK mains plugs on the Grand. I suppose I could try the Master on my DAC

Yep, Pete's advice was amp - DAC - streamer - wall to conditioner, in that order. I'll have to wait a little while; haven't long changed speakers, and it's Mrs Painter's birthday soon. She's very patient and supportive of my "hobby" so I'm not going to push things. I definitely see more TWL in my future (hopefully not too distant 🙂)

@jambaj0e Hi, I'm not sure where you're up to in your PC search, but after reading this thread, my interest in TWL cables was piqued. After a bit of reading online, I fired off an email to Pete, with a list of my electronics, and asked for advice as to which component I should try first, with his PCs.

Pete got back really quick and stated I should upgrade the PC to my amp first (Marantz Model 30 -Class D), and recommended the Digital American High Powered version. (I'm in the UK so with the Furutech Rhodium/NFC UK mains plug FI-1363, and Furukawa C15 IEC plug)

I received it yesterday around 1pm, and plugged it in, left it playing while working and until around 10pm.

Turned my system on again late morning, and lined up Abdullah Abraham & Ekaya album - Sotho Blue, which I've been listening too a lot lately, and also the Nicolas Parent Trio album - Tori. Well recorded albums to be fair, but the difference was to me, quite a contrast compared to the NRG

By the way, the TWL PC replaced the NRG "The 5". I'm not one for hyperbole, or descriptive audio language, so all I'll say is, the NRG cable is now unemployed.

All of the positives I and your good self have probably read online of TWL PCs applies. 

I will plug the NRG in again just to compare, but it's pretty pointless to be honest. I like the NRG cables, and Nawaz is a great guy to deal with, but as much as it pains me to say it, TWL is on another level. 🫣

@jambaj0e  That's great. Really glad you continue to enjoy it. I'm glad you wrote your observations of your cable; this is my experience to a letter.

Only thing is now, I've got 3 other cables I'd like to swap out for TWL 🤔🫣