Triode Wire Labs or NRG Custom The Five for my 300b SET tube amp?

So currently, my Cayin HA-300 300b SET tube amp is powered by the Morrow Audio MAP3 power cable, which I think is quite a good cable with a smooth, neutral sound fairly wide soundstage and very nice vocals and detail. I listen mostly on my LCD-3 headphones and my DAC is the Chord Hugo TT2. I also have the Western Electric 300b and Sylvania 6SN7W metal base tubes on the HA-300.

What I'd like is a bit more dynamic punch and meat without sacrificing resolution and soundstage, as well as not going too warm or too cold.

So I'm looking at two power cables, the Triode Wire Plus Seven Plus or the NRG Custom The Five. Also, is there a good reason to go with the Ten Plus or The One since the 300b tube amp?

jambaj0e

Showing 22 responses by jambaj0e

@kodak805 i talked to Pete and he said for my Tube amp, the Seven Plus would be better. So I bought that and will probably buy another cable to compare against. Although I just read Lavricables does not offer any return or trial policy =(

I'm not interested in proving they're fake or not. On highly revealing systems I have heard the difference, and I've heard it between two cables on mine (the current Morrow Audio Map3 on the amp and the Audioquest Thunder that ended up on my PS Audio Power Plant 3).

So anyways, back to the main question, I would like to hear if it's a big enough improvement to get the Triode Wire Labs over the NRG. 

Yeah both cables have been getting high marks, I just wonder how big of a difference they'll be. 

@carlsbad  The Morrow Audio MAP3 is actually much better than the stock cable or a cheap generic cable, I can tell you that much, although it’s not as good as the Audioquest Thunder that I ended up using for the PS Audio Power Plant 3.

It’s not a bad cable and I certainly been surprised by how much bass extension and texture there is. I just want a bit more grip and dynamics and so far from AudioBacon’s power cord shootout, the MAP3 is a "less heavy" version of the NRG The 5 (so I should get similar sound signature, but more oomph with NRG).

AudioBacon: 27 Best Audiophile Power Cables - Morrow Audio MAP3

I’m more interested in seeing how much of a difference the NRG The Five is compared to the Triode Wire Labs Seven Plus

@audiojan While I would love to spend $1000+ on a power cable (that Triode Wire Labs Obsession seems amazing, too), I unfortunately have the double trouble of loving two fairly expensive interests with audiophile and road biking (Just bought a $7000 carbon fiber bike with $2100 wheels!), so, I'm trying to temper my spending a bit by having a limit of $700, lol.

@audiojan Whoa, that's amazing! What do you guys ride? I have the Fezzari Veyo with Ultegra 12-speed di2 and Zipp 303 Firecrest wheels + Garmin Rally RS200 powermeter, Specialized S-Works Romin Evo saddle, and ENVE SES Aero handlebars. They sure add up, lol!

Fezzari Veyo

Wow, $700 is a really good price for Cardas Beyond Clear AC cable. I'm seeing it for $1050 - $1300.

@soix oh there's a cut out in the middle. Plus, your bib shorts have the padding so it can move with your body and chafe (which can happen with too much padding on the saddle itself). I've gone 100 miles + in one day with this saddle.

Specialized S-works Romin Evo saddle

@steakster that is a really strange saddle. I can't imagine going up long climbs on that. As for speaker positioning, luckily I'm headphone only at the moment, lol. 

@thyname oh yeah almost $10, 000 for the bike, and I’ve gone as fast as 52 mph on it, as well as ridden 100+ miles in a single day. Those are things I’d never do on a Walmart bike, lol.

I am curious about those Lavricables now, too. How's the dynamic punch and soundstage on them?

NRG Customs hasn’t hit me back, so maybe I’ll buy those as my 2nd pair to test against the TWL Seven Plus which I just bought today (thanks Pete!). I’ll read more on that and Zafrino, too. Ugh, too many too choose from. It’s like how to choose the right tires, shoes, or saddles for my bike, lol 😂

Shoes alone, I’ve bought my 6th and 7th pair (other than my first shoe, I’ve gotten two of each in white and in black). This time I got two Shimano Rc903s

@painter24 By the way, for your NRG, which ends did you get, the gold or Rhodium? Nawaz from NRG recommended that for my 300b tube amp and the sound I'm looking for with that touch of warmth to go with gold, not rhodium.

@soix aren't silver cables tend to be more on the cool side though? I wouldn't want to loose the bit of warmth I have and sweetness of the 300b if the silver is too cool. Transparent/neutral yes, cool no. 

A side tangent, in regards to burning in your power cable, would it be ok to plug it into a non-audiophile gear, ie. a computer to keep it running for a long time? I just don't want to burn away the life of my Western Electric 300b or 6SN7w tubes.

By the way, if you guys want to hear something absolutely sublime, have a listen to "Space Lion" by Tank from the Cowboy Bebop Soundtrack. It's just one of those tracks that lets you melt into your chair and let your mind adrift into another realm.

UPDATE: So I just received my Triode Wire Labs Seven Plus, and right out of the box, all I can say is WOW! This isn’t just a bit better than my Morrow Audio MAP3, but it’s very noticeably better! Everything seems to be more improved, from dynamics and texture to bass slam/extension and instrumental separation.

They’re not kidding when they say they have their PRAT (Pace, Rhythm, and Timing) down pat.

I’m not sure how many hours Pete burnt in my cable in his Audiodharma Cable Cooker, but I’m so glad he did so.

I’ll give it a few more days listen, but I feel that I may just cancel the NRG Customs "The Five" that I have on order and won’t even ship for 2 more weeks.

@audphile1 Yeah! I'm just so surprised how much better it is! It's almost like I just changed my headphones or took out some cotton from the earcups or something, lol.

The crazy thing is while I don't think soundstage got bigger, instrument separation became clearer and more distinct, especially with how the drums sound.

Shoot, now I'm so tempted to upgrade my XLR from my Morrow Audio MA4 cables. They do have the Furutech CF-601M/CF-602F Rhodium connectors, though. Can I use them on a new cable?

@bugredmachine ahh so you also kept the Triode Wire Labs Seven Plus power cables? What do you like about it compared to all the other cables you auditioned? 

@painter24 Can't argue with switching, lol. I suppose I'd start with the most impactful one that Pete would recommend

@painter24 I felt the same way when I got my TWL Seven Plus for my Cayin HA-300 SET amp. The difference between that and my previous Morrow Audio MAP3 was immense! The sound is more authoritative and crisper. There's just more texture and more meat, while the noise floor is also a bit more quieter. This didn't take even a day of deciding, and the sound since then has gotten even better as I continue to burn in my power cable.

I'm a big believer of TWL cables now, and I'm very happy with my purchase!

oh wow, I'm surprised that the wall to conditioner is the last one he suggested! I always thought changing that affects everything downstream.