Transport under 1500 new or used

I have started similar threads in the past, but now I am down to the wire and need Agoners help!

I need a new transport, just sold my Meridian 500, and am looking for an upgrade. I have narrowed it down to the following and am looking for a smooth, warm CD transport, but have actually considered tube cd players. Question is, should I just get the most transparent and detailed transport and then warm it up with a tubed DAC and not worry about the transport as much?

I am leaning toward the new Northstar 192 transport as it seems like it will fit the bill, but cannot find anyone who has heard it, except dealers. Please help. Thanks

The list:
Northstar 192 Transport
CEC TL2
Vecteur D2
Audio Note CDT1
Audio Note CDT2 (although out of my price range)
platsolos

Showing 1 response by tswhitsel

I have used several transports over the years including Theta, Audio Research, Teac (same as used by Wadia), Pioneer Stable Platter, Top of the line Sony, and Accuphase. For the most part these were used either with Meridian DACs, Timbre (on loan), or Audio Logic. All of these are good transports, but the differences to my ears were subtle. I thought the Sony (same transport in the Accuphase DP-55 and DP-65 that I owned) was better than the Teac. After purchasing my second Audio Logic DSM-34 DAC I decided to try the CEC TL2. Absolutely stunning difference. Until the TL2 I didn't really believe the transport could make that much difference. This is the most analog sounding transport in terms of warmth and is an excellent match for the Audio Logic DAC, which in my opinion has few peers. The Audio Logic is the only DAC or player that I've tried that comes close to the sound of my Well Tempered Reference table. Also, the TL2s build quality is very impressive. I bought mine used in mint condition for $1200 from a dealer advertising on Audiogon. Read Steven Stone's review in Stereophile Vol.19 No.7. I also use a Genesis Digital Lens, which is an absolute steal at current used prices (around $500). Good luck.