Transport under 1500 new or used

I have started similar threads in the past, but now I am down to the wire and need Agoners help!

I need a new transport, just sold my Meridian 500, and am looking for an upgrade. I have narrowed it down to the following and am looking for a smooth, warm CD transport, but have actually considered tube cd players. Question is, should I just get the most transparent and detailed transport and then warm it up with a tubed DAC and not worry about the transport as much?

I am leaning toward the new Northstar 192 transport as it seems like it will fit the bill, but cannot find anyone who has heard it, except dealers. Please help. Thanks

The list:
Northstar 192 Transport
CEC TL2
Vecteur D2
Audio Note CDT1
Audio Note CDT2 (although out of my price range)
platsolos

Showing 1 response by joe_b

Firstly, I would strongly recommend that you do not buy anything w/o a rite of return or that can easily be re-sold.
I have tried a bunch of different transports (unfortunately nothing on your shortlist) and have found that many can add midrange glare, lack prat, etc. Some of these are transports that others have raved about and I thought they did not sound very good. There are two transports I have tried that sounded great only they had other baggage like excessive RFI radiation.
Every transport I have owned or tried has benefitted to some degree from a good jitter reduction device.
If you can't find anyone around here that has heard a Northstar transport, just think of what it will be like to try and sell it if it stinks.
Also, I have tried a tube dac, thinking it would have a warm sound and found it to be brighter and grainier than my all ss dac. Therefore, I would not scrimp on a transport, thinking you can compensate for it with the dac.