Totem The One vs. Usher "Tiny Dancer" Be 718

I'd like to hear only from people who have heard both. Excluding bass, which speaker has a more true midrange and does a better job of capturing the shimmer of cymbals? Also, I assume that the Usher has greater dynamics, but is the Totem deficient in this area? I know there are many fine speakers in this category, but I'd like to limit this discussion only to these two. Thanks.
128x1289rw

Showing 2 responses by zenblaster

Hi 9- I was at CES last year and Totem and Usher were in side by side rooms which gave me a good chance to practically a/b the 2 brands. The Usher Tiny Dancer was being highly hyped in their room and I felt it sounded pretty good but not great. It was kind of harsh in the upper treble region and lacking in the bass, which is to be expected with a smallish package. I felt that the Totem Rainmaker at a much smaller price had a nicer tone overall. I had to look around Totems room for the sub the bass was so impressive. Having heard "The One" and its impressive sound I would say it is not even close by my ears. Of course sound/speakers are subjective in nature so take that into account.
I'm trying to recall what I heard in Vince's room. There were several speakers from Totem and I listened to a few from the Rainmaker to, I believe was "The One" plus he had some floorstanders. I think they were powered by a pretty basic Naim Int amp, certainly nothing exotic or even expensive. A friend has a pair of "The One"powered with a Cj tube amp that sounds Other Worldly. You have to listen to Totem speakers, they don't let you leave the room, They definetley have their own flavor, sweet as it may be, not analytical. They make music sound good.
Dkzzz, you are correct- the tweeter of the Tiny Dancer seemed to be nuclear bright and ringing to me. I suppose that could be toned down with proper amplification and room treatments. The mids were very sweet though, but I somehow felt like I was listening to digital music with them, not a lot of warmth.
These 2 speakers could not possibly be more different.