Toshiba 4960 as a DVD-A transport

I've been using a 4960 as a DVDA transport but recently it has had some difficulties reading DVD+R and (-R) discs. I get random pops where the player is having dificulties reading. I only play my masters of live performances that I have recorded in 96/24 and transfered via Wavelab to disc.

I did some trouble shooting and it is the player not my DA. There are 3 possibilities to solving the problem on this nearly one year old player:

1) Contact Toshiba and see if they will fix it. I think the warrenty is only 90 days though and when I was having problems with my rear projection they weren't the most consumer friendly people so I think they won't help.

2) Send it in for repair. Although, this is a cheap unit that cost $129 and repairs may cost significantly more.

3) Buy a new unit.

Does anyone have any other thoughts or comments on the above ideas or further thoughts?
ramstl

Showing 1 response by ptmconsulting

This player definitely has a history of not playing every DVD-A. I would definitely look elsewhere if that is a concern to you.

If not, and you're looking for inexpensive and decent Redbook and SACD, then this player is worth considering, especially if you can handle a soldering iron and are willing to do a few basic mods. They really pay off.

Enjoy,
Bob