Toroidal vs. Non-toroidal Transformers

I am an experienced audiophile, but am unsure as to how much weight should be given to the presence of a toridal transformer in a CD player. I am comparing the Marantz SA-15S2 to the Denon 100th Anniversary SACD player. With the cases open, the main difference I note is that the Marantz has a toroidal transformer, and the Denon does not. I am one who buys all of his gear on-line, sight unseen, and so design and parts quality are important to me (they would be important to me anyway).

I believe that design and parts quality have a direct relationship to performance. I am not one to readily accept the advice of: "Well, just listen to the players." I suppose that if I listen long enough, I might end up seeing the positive points of almost any piece of gear--and such is why I always marvel at the suggestions of "200" or "500" hours of "break-in". I would rather make an informed initial decision, as well-designed components with quality parts--and good weight and build--have rarely disappoined me. I welcome any relevant comments.
gtortorella

Showing 1 response by swanny76109

The DAC and analog output design will have much more impact on sound than will the type of transformer. You are looking at lower end processors and outputs that make use of cheaper op amps rather than discrete devices. Hence the screech. Save up for a good DAC instead. You won't regret it.