Top Ten Speakers of All Time?

Well its time for a new Top Ten Thread. WOW-Have I learned a lot.Thanks to all Audiogon members.Have had several e mail thanking the Top Ten Threads. We have a lot of new members just starting their High End adventure. Info was much appreciated. I will start the thread for the Acoustat 2+2 and Model 2 of which I still own and continue to enjoy. So lets have your top ten members. --- MANY THANKS ---
ferrari

Showing 1 response by chaskelljr2001

My favorite speaker(s) of all time???

(01). KEF Reference 105/2
(02). Vandersteen 2Ci/Vandersteen 2Ce
(03). B&W Nautilus 801
(04). Martin Logan Statement
(05). Infinity IRS Beta
(06). Infinity IRS V
(07). Wilson Audio WATT/Puppy System

Obviously.... I haven't listened to enough REALLY good speakers in my lifetime in order to compile an actual "TOP TEN" list. But the ones that are listed above are the ones that I have listened to over the last 25+ years (and I am only 40) are the ones I am familiar with. They are listed without regard to price. Because I feel that if you have good engineering, good execution, and good performance right along with good support, that will go a long way toward putting out a good product that will last almost indefinitely. Price only comes secondary after the fact. Any of the speakers I have listed above will be a welcome addition to my audio system. But only if they are paired with the correct amplification and front-end anciliaries. And in saying that, I can use the Vandersteen 2's now with my current system if I just want to make the change to acquire these speakers without further tinkering as far as my system is concerned. The other six I have listed will require a drastic change in amplification and anciliaries before I can get any enjoyment out of them. But just like I said though, if I end up with any of these speakers right now, I don't think I'll be disappointed.

Just for the record, I currently own the baby sized version of the KEF Reference 105/2......... the KEF Reference 102. The 102's may not be the last word in ultimate low end extension, but they have a midrange clarity and an airy top-end that you can just die for. And they image like the devil too. I had mine for 15 years now, and during that time, I even auditioned other speakers in the event of finding something that could finally supplant them and ultimately replace them. That hasn't been done yet. And next to my Nakamichi BX-300 Cassette Deck (which I had a year longer than the KEF Reference 102's), if I can keep a component THAT long, then it must be doing something right. I know of some marriages that don't even last THAT long.

--Charles--