Top resistors

Many threads with opinions on boutique coupling capacitors, but very little consolidated information on the sonics of resistors. Anyone care to share their thoughts on the attributes of their favorite brands & types for specific tube and SS applications? How much of a difference does a good resistor make?

My interest in the topic increased after recently installing the latest Texas Components nude Vishay TX2575 in several SS and tube phono & LS components. This was a proverbial "Ah-ha" moment-- a stray resistor dropped into signal path here or there, surprising with an improvement that equalled or surpassed the impact of a switch to a top coupling cap like V-Cap or Mundorf.
dgarretson

Showing 13 responses by rodman99999

I've been using Vishay Bulk Foils for a number of years, and have had excellent results. Supposedly wire-wounds are actually quieter, but there are other factors involved in the transparency of a resistor as well. Michael percy will match parts within 1% tolerance for you. (http://www.percyaudio.com/Catalog.pdf) A good person to do business with.
Carbon composition resistors are some of the worst as far as noise. Here's a decent treatise on the subject: (http://www.aikenamps.com/ResistorNoise.htm) Note what he says about wire-wounds and inductance. As you mentioned Mr D: The carbon comps DO add colorations that some find appealing. That's generally what I found on the AA forums- Lots of folks with lots of opinions/tastes, but very few that compared what they were hearing with actual music. I believe there are more individuals in here that are familiar with live music, and seek to capture those flavors at home, or(at least) do as little harm to the signal from their recordings as possible.
Mr Y- Any components(passive or active) that can be replaced in the signal path(or power supply) to provide a more transparent conduit (and gain) for the signal will have a cumulative effect. Many of us desire to provide as transparent a path, from the source to the speakers, for our music as possible. That entails replacing anything that adds or subtracts from the original signal. Some components(generally utilized in manufacture for the sake of economy) are known to induce noise, warmth or other colorations, and are targeted for elimination. What may seem insignificant or desirable to some, is found unacceptable to others.
Mr D- The tubes that you auditioned(all but the Russian, which I never tried), all brought artificial warmth to my system when used as phase splitters or drivers in my Cary monoblocks. Trust me when I say that if you had tried a NOS pair of TungSol JAN CTL/6SN7GT round plates(40's), or Sylvania JAN CHS/6SN7W, tall bottles- your idea that tube rolling won't provide an across-the-board improvement like a resistor change is flawed. The improvements in transparency, sound stage(width and depth), dynamics, focus, frequency extension(both directions, without glare or bloat) and imaging that these tubes provide when compared to other 6SN7's is amazing(not quite as dramatic when compared to the Sylvania and Ken-Rad bottom gettered VT-231's, which are also excellent). They further allow the proper harmonic "bloom" that accompanies live instruments(without any excess) and accurate transient attack and decay. I can't live without them! Of course the resistor change provides improvements in transparency regardless of the tubes installed(so we're comparing apples and oranges here), and whether one likes an accurate, transparent presentation of what's on their recorded material or prefers the kinds of colorations some enjoy makes any comparison "subjective". Personally- I want my system to provide the qualities that I hear when I'm working as a sound technician, attending a live concert, or playing my guitar. Hearing live music 2 or 3 times a week for the past couple decades has given me a pretty good idea of what the real thing sounds like, and I can't abide noise/warmth/sibilance/sugary glaze or anything else that doesn't exist at a properly set up live venue. That there are others that want their systems to sound that way doesn't surprise me at all, or affect my tastes in the least. Enjoy your music, and the quest!
Mr D- You are correct! A transparent, non-inductive resistor like the Bulk Foil Vishays(or Caddock Ultra- Precision Film) will make an audible improvement vitually anywhere it's installed in the signal path.
In what country is an, "alligator clip" referred to as a, "crocodile clip?" I'm guessing Oscilloscope is not your first language. The tip that is ATTACHED to the other lead of the resistor; is of the, "retractable hook" variety. They lock QUITE SECURELY onto whatever lead they are applied, and provide an excellent connection.
OK- In 40yrs of electronics; I've never heard the term, "Crocodile clip." Now- having looked it up, I suppose it was inevitable that someone would coin the phrase. The rest of my post stands pat.
The typical O-Scope probe has a ground wire(with an alligator clip), that connects to the side of it's insulator body. The heavily protected(insulated) retractable hook probe, then can be connected to any lead, within(say) a component's chassis, for testing at various points in it's circuitry. All the resistors, shown in the pictures(of Mr E's site), are wirewounds. That means they contain drawn wire. Metallic wire molecules are of a crystaline construction and assume a directional, chevron shape, when drawn(ie: >>>>>> ). It's inferred by many, that the boundaries of the crytals can/will act as diodes, and may be the reason wire seems directional. That(partially) accounts for the popularity of Ohno Constant Casting(OCC or Mono Crystal), copper or silver wire, in the construction of cabling and interconnects.
OOPS- Make that Ohno CONTINUOUS Casting. BTW: I'll bet that the Bulk Foil and Nude Vishays, or Caddock Precision Films, would not show as dramatic a directionality, if at all.
Not having experimented with resistor directionality; I have no opinion regarding validity. However: I can't help but notice; in every picture the tester has his fingers on the body of the resistor and not touching either lead. no doubt; it would have been expedient, to have removed himself/his body from the test completely. Testing capacitors for outer foil, has shown me how much influence a body can have regarding induced noise. Why would the impedences of the probes, ground wire, etc not remain constant? According to the script; he was testing for voltage/mV differences. If the results were repeatable, and mostly constant, between resistors of the same value; I'd see no reason to doubt the conclusions he's made.
@Sherod- If the NOS Sylvanias are the bottom-gettered, VT-231 type(from the 40's); they are already excellent tubes. Very natural and transparent, like the Tung-Sols. The biggest noticeable difference, would be in the sound stage depth. That would be highly dependent on how well the rest of your system performs. Regarding the price: everyone has different takes on what's important and valuations, regarding presentation. If the Sylvanias aren't the above mentioned, get a pair of those(or bottom-gettered Ken-Rad VT-231s) to compare with the ones supplied. They aren't as salty as the Tung-Sols and may satisfy any desire to further roll your tubes. Hope the OP doesn't mind us hijacking the thread!
@ Sherod- The site wouldn't let me add this info: (http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_trksid=p2055119.m570.l1313.TR0.TRC0.H0.Xsylvania+vt231+vt-231&_nkw=sylvania+vt231+vt-231&_sacat=0&_from=R40) or(http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_odkw=sylvania+vt231+vt-231&_osacat=0&_from=R40&_trksid=p2045573.m570.l1313.TR0.TRC0.H0.XKen-Rad++vt231+vt-231&_nkw=Ken-Rad++vt231+vt-231&_sacat=0)