Top Alternative Rock Albums of 2008

In no particular order here is a list. Please feel free to throw in some names I'm always in the search of great new music.

No Age - Nouns (Dinosaur Jr meets Weezer)
The Raconteurs - Consolers of the Lonely
Vampire Weekend - Vampire Weekend
Fleet Foxes - Fleet Foxes (really folky but I dig it)
Beck - Modern Guilt
Sigur Rós - Með Suð Í Eyrum Við (possibly my favorite in 08)
Portishead - Third (took a couple listens but I get it now)

Albums I bought and was let down by:

TV On The Radio - Dear Science
I don't mind the album, it's just that Return to Cookie Mountain was so much better.

My Morning Jacket - Evil Urges
Just didn't sound like MMJ to me. After buying Fleet Foxes recently maybe I'll get into more.

The Black Keys - Attack and Release
A few good tunes, album has too many holes though

Album's I didn't buy or care to buy:

Coldplay - Viva La Vida
Bloc Party - Intimacy
Kings Of Leon - Only By The Night
lush

Showing 1 response by jswarncke

Nobody has mentioned Goldfrapp Seventh Tree. Saw them at Coachella and then bought the record, which became the heaviest rotation album of the year for me. Beautiful, heavily layered arrangements and incredibly well recorded.

The Bravery's Sun and Moon, produced by Brendan O'Brien, also got my attention. A considerable advancement in songwriting by them and, again, well recorded.

Black Rebel Motorcycle Club's BRMC came out last year, and they just keep making consistent, interesting albums. The best British band not actually from Britain.

The Charlatans released You Cross my Path to almost no notice in the US. Worth checking out for fans of the band (and others)

The Last Shadow Puppets. Arctic Monkey's front man's side project, but having little in common with his main band. Sounds like late 60's Burt Bachrach romantic orchestrated pop and James Bond theme music. And well done at that.