Toolshed Amps 300b Stereo Amp

I am having one built now, check out the review on Part Time Audiophile's site....

128x128oddiofyl

Showing 15 responses by firstgrowth

Matt texted me on Monday and said my 300b would be shipped by the end of the week.  Really looking forward to this amp.

For the moment I'm going straight from my dac into the new amp.  I have a Don Sachs model 2 that was just upgraded.  I'll try it and see what's producing better sound.

The Zesto is something I'm not familiar with.  I'll take a look.  

I had a pair of VR4s I lost in hurricane Irene.  Very nice amps.  This one was more than I wanted to spend as well but I'm 62 and I decided I'm tired of the upgrade carousel.  I dropped a bundle on a DAC as well.  I'll definitely post my impressions once the amp has some time on it.

The amp has it all.  As you would expect, the midrange is to die for.  Very solid bass and a massive soundstage.  Players are positioned as they should be.  

In my system the amp lacks a little gain going direct from the DAC.  I have ordered a DHT Supratek pre amp to match up with it so we'll see how that plays out.  

I'm very happy with my purchase and can see living with this for quite some time.

Thank you Charles.  That and I'm expecting the new Pro-ject spinner along with a Nikola power supply any day now.  Hopefully I'll be done for a while and can focus on the music.

I just took delivery.  Matt packed this thing to withstand a nuclear blast.  I'll post something once I drag it down to my listening room and get it set up.

I heard from Matt today.  My amp is done.   He was doing a final test on the circuits and then will run it in for about 100 hours before boxing it up and shipping.  He said it will need a good 500 hours to fully break in and the tubes about 1000 hours.  Once it's in my rack I'll post initial impressions and then update them periodically.

If I could post the pics he sent I would.  The dialog box keeps asking for a URL.  WTF?

I have a Weiss 502.  Yes, it's the RS2T and the Nikola 2.  Seems the more money I make the harder it is to spend.  There's never anything in stock I want so I wait like everyone else.

There's a brand new one for sale on USAM right now from the manufacturer at a discount.