Tonearm/Cart Matching Assistance - SAEC 407/23

Has anyone used this tonearm? Can you tell me whether it is suitable for high/medium/low compliance cartridges?
Thanks, Travis
t_bone

Showing 2 responses by t_bone

Thanks Tom. FWIW, the arm is supposed to accomodate "cart+headshell" weights of 8-33.5 grams and carts with tracking force of 0-4 grams (though another source suggests 0-2.5g). From what a few Japanese dealers have told me, this arm was oftenused with an Ortofon SPU cart/headshell combo here in Japan back in its day (15-20yrs ago) and the SPU cart/headshell unit is about 30-32g if I have it figured out correctly.

Also, can you suggest where I'd start looking for a medium compliance cart (makers, etc) and what medium compliance is in terms of numbers?
Raul, thanks. I last posted to the thread five and a half years ago. I have found that I prefer heavier-weight, lower compliance carts with the 407/23. I still use it quite a bit. I do not have the SAEC ceramic headshell. Mine didn't come with it, and they go for a pretty penny. Maybe I should get one anyway. In any case, I use a Yamamoto ebony headshell which is a bit lighter, and perhaps one reason why I prefer heavier carts.