To bridge or not to bridge....

I have a Bryston 4B ST and lately have been red lighting.
So I want to bump up my power.
What is the best way to go?
Add another 4B St..bridged?
Buy separate mono blocks..it doesn't have to be Bryston.
What is the difference,if any, with mono blocks over a pair of bridged 4B ST?
Or stay with a single amp with more power?
I have always found this to be very confusing.
The cheaper way to go would be another 4B ST.
I will update my speakers later.
Any info/direction would be greatly appeciated.
thefalls1117

Showing 2 responses by marty9876

Weird, I started to have this same basic problem with a 9B. I went round and round with Byrston, my dealer and the speaker manufacture. Conclusion, I was under powered. I still think this was bull.... But hey, they know more than I do. The drop in speaker impedance was always in the back of my mind, just nobody said this could happen. They suggested I physically inspect the crossover, looks for burn marks, no luck. A 4b is a much larger amp, thou.

I doubt their is anything wrong with the amp. One interesting comment form Bryston was the their amps either work, or they don't. No middle ground. I also think their amps work great, in their design parameters. The 9b is stable to 4 ohms, not 3.9999 ohms. The speakers I am using stay under 4 ohm for everything under 650hz, a major fundamentals section of the spectrum. The 4b should be stable down to 3 ohms(their quote).

Also the "cleaner" the power I feed the amp the higher I could push the unit. Dedicated line, ps ultimate outlet and Richard Gray seamed to help raise the limits, but did not fix the issue. So I bought a Simaudio Titan, I no longer have an issue.

Another 4b is cheaper, but I once heard that a bridged amp never sounded "better" than an unbridged amp. Plus I don't know how much a 4b bridged would like a 4 ohm load.
Good Luck,
Marty
The ohm meter across does not work. I tried, one answer was "all you are measuring is the woofer dc load". All I can say is it does not work.

If you like Bryston, I don't think you can go wrong with the 14b sst. If you clip this, you need help.

Honestly thou, this does not make much sense to me but, I was talking with a Bryston Dealer who also sold Simaudio and he said that he has clipped a 14b but never a large Sim model. I dunno, larger profit margin?
Marty