To all our Veterans here, Thank You!

Thank you for your service and your sacrifice.

128x128jerryg123

Showing 1 response by mike4597

Thank you all for the kind words directed to all veterans on Veterans Day.  It truly was an honor to serve.  I always felt I was making a contribution, and, aside from being shot at, it was mostly a pleasure.  Even when shot at, I would have to agree a great deal with the words of Sir Winston Churchill: “There is nothing more exhilarating than to be shot at with no result.”  But it was still more than a little disconcerting at the time.

I was blessed to work with wonderful people in great and not-so-great places, and made life-long friends and brothers in arms. I even got a little culture in, being able to attend numerous concerts while stationed in Germany, including in Berlin, where we managed to attend performances of most of Beethoven’s symphonies, including a marvelous performance of the Sixth (Pastorale) conducted by Karl Bōhm—dating myself a bit there—and a New Year’s Day performance by the Berlin Philharmonic of the Ninth.  Majestic it was, indeed.

I never intended to make a career of the military, but various events guided me down that path, and I would do it all again in a heartbeat given the opportunity … and a younger body!

Blessings and good listening to all.