Tinnitus sufferer: is it the speakers or the 24bits/192kHz

I have tinitus and have had it for 30+ years.  There is no cure and I know the best way to handle it is to ignore it.  But lately my tinnitus has been going off the scale.  The "lately" seems to have coincided with streaming Qobuz Hi-Res and listening on a PS Audio DirectStream DAC and pulling my Magnepan 1.6 out of storage.  Now I have been known to play too loud on "A" song- but by and large the volume is down to where I could easily speak to somone in the room.

I have thought about maybe changing to to Harbeth, Dyn, Sonus Faber or other speakers more focused on midrange.  But have also wondered if it is the high quality of sound that I am listening to that is perhaps stimulating my very high pitch ringing?

So, any fellow tinnitus folks out there with an opinion on this? 
mocktender

Showing 1 response by mocktender

Wow!  I’m impressed.  I thought a little question like that would garner a few responses, hopefully from only a few unfortunate souls like myself.

Just got back from a trip- no cell coverage and no stereo.  So I was surprised to see my inbox with so many notices of responses.

First off- I will definitely go with Tekton speakers over “like” brain surgery.  

Next, I thought a few of you actually answered my question as asked.  And I appreciate that.  

My health (except for the, as yet incurable leukemia that I have (postdates my tinnitus) is pretty damn good.  I hike the canyons and mountains of western Colorado 4 days a week (about 5-7 miles each time) and usually sneak in 2-3 bike rides as well.  

My last trip to the ENT and audiologist was today (last was three years ago).  Report: A small amount of hearing loss in both ears.  But for a 63.5 year old guy, I am above the curve for hearing in my age group.  Ear drums look great and canal is clean.

So what is new on the tinnitus front- NOTHING!  The ENT was very intrigued by the question I posted here.  He said that almost every study done that he has seen is done on volume,  not frequency.  He said that in the last few years they are starting to rule out foods, alcohol and such.  I am not so sure about that (dark chocolate and red wine makes my tinnitus seem worse to me).  He said that some of the trial and error things I have been trying and ruling out were worth merit.  I said, unfortunately, like most tinnitus sufferers that I know, I will chase any monkey in hope of a miracle.  So what the hell, I might just try Charlottes Web CBD.

And as far as “The plural of anecdote in not data”.  Yeah, but “Absence of evidence is not evidence of absence”.  I have followed tinnitus research scientist for years- which is why I am now taking 5-HTP.  Long shot I know, but the correlation between lack of deep sleep and tinnitus (The serotonin theory of tinnitus that uses dopamine and serotonin on the same type of transmitters).   

So my question was simple and answered simply by some.  It gave me no conclusive answer.  But, my experience is similar and different from others, but at least in the same ballpark.

Question, why can I listen to the tv through the same DAC, pre-amp, amplifier and speakers via a Toslink cable with absolutely no change to my tinnitus?  But within 30 minutes of listening via Ethernet or Coax on Qobuz at the same dba, same DAC, pre-amp, amplifier and speakers and listening position and both my ears are screaming (about 80% more on the right).  Only source and cabling changed. 

So it seems there is more than one way to skin the tinnitus cat, that has little if not no research.  So why not ask for anecdotal evidence?