Tinnitus anyone?

After years of loud stereos and playing electric guitar recreationally I have developed a continuous ringing? Also leads to music sounding brittle. Anyone else reconciling this with how you listen and enjoy a good sound system?
hnx
subaruguru,

dunno if it'll help yer tinnitus, but adding a humidifier to our hvac system made a great improvement to the air-quality in our house - more even temperatures, less sinus congestion, less dry throat, les static when touching the electronics... ;~) highly recommended...

doug

Thanks, sedond. After my old one crapped out last year I just last week got a new double-tank humidifier, both to protect my Steinway (even though it has one built in) as well sweeten the air. No effect on the tinnitus; however, the top octaves sound smoother at higher RH (if I can get out of the way of the good Dr. Placebo!). Cheers.
30+ years of concert going without ear protection got me. A constant high pitch whistling? ringing? sound as far back as I can remember. The loudest concert I ever attended was Patti Smith openning for the Rolling Stones in late 70's. Boy that woman can scream (I stuffed toilet paper in my ears it was so loud). WEAR EARPLUGS!!!
I have bad ringing that comes and goes. When I am being lazy and not excersisng my blood pressure goes up and the ringing gets worse. If I am keeping in shape it will completely go away but it always gets its worse when I start to get into an excersise routine.
I have constant ringing in both ears from eight years as a Navy pilot. The Navy checks hearing in flight crews during the annual flight physical. The high pitched whine of the turbine engines powering the aircraft has effects on hearing and eventually leads to tinnitus. I wore hearing protection all time on the flight line and while flying but it took it's toll. Some days are worse than others, but it is there all of the time. It doesn't seem to effect my ability to critically listen to and enjoy music. I have been asked by friends to listen to their systems for evaluations and I have confirmed thier determinations or detected other things. I am curious. Several of you indicated that caffiene has an affect. Does a reduction in caffiene intake help or as in my case the damage has been done?